8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Media player that displays interlacing ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Media player that displays interlacing ?
Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2017 12:30 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I'm working on transferring 8mm to DVD. I use VLC player as a simple PC playback monitor but it doesn't show the interlacing that appears when I play the disc on a regular DVD player.

Is there another media player that WILL show interlacing?

Thanks,
Bill

|  IP: Logged

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, I know both VLC and MP Classic allow turning
deinterlace off, but neither one is working for me.

The dvd plays fine on both of those but clearly has interlace issues in stand-alone dvd players.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 12:56 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

I've used handbrake with some success.
See here for the interlacing issue possibility: http://www.tested.com/tech/1014-how-to-fix-video-interlacing-in-your-movie-files-on-the-fly/
You can maybe try another render with handbrake deinterlace filter setting.
Also, virtualdub has been helpful to some as well. Both these programs can work but it will depend on which usability you like. I find all these programs too cumbersome myself [Smile]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 02:12 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mathew,

I don't think I was clear with my question.

I already have and use several programs that deinterlace video,
including Virtualdub and Handbrake.

That's not the problem.

What I need is a media player that will SHOW interlacing so I can check my work as I go. Neither Media Player Classic nor VLC
are showing interlacing which is clearly visible when I play the disc on a stand alone DVD player.

Thanks,
Bill

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 09, 2017 04:15 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill...As far as I know VirtualDub does not apply deinterlacing as a default to video playback. So if the video is interlaced you should see it that way in VDub before applying an interlacing filter. If the file you want to view is a MPEG2 or DVD VOB file you will need to download and install the Mpeg2 version of VDub.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Virtualdub-MPEG2

Here is a screen capture of a VOB file I just dragged into Virtual Dub Mpeg2. You can see the interlacing is very pronouced.

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,

Yes, supposedly the deinterlace filter in both VDub and VLC is off by default, and that's the case when I check. But neither one is showing the 'comb' lines I see when playing on a dvd player.

It's a bit of a PITA to have to keep burning test dvds and running upstairs to check them.

Thanks,
Bill

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 09, 2017 08:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To troubleshoot you need to analyze specifics of your capture and conversion workflow. Perhaps you could provide this information for addition help.

1. Video capture settings
2. Original file format (codec)
3. Post capture processing apps, filters, output codec.
4. DVD burning app and settings
5. DVD Player - analog or progress settings
6. TV type of display

DVD's can display differently on a computer monitor opposed to a DVD > TV for various reasons. Perhaps something in your process will trigger the answer.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Vendasi
Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2017 07:04 PM      Profile for Bill Vendasi   Email Bill Vendasi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice,

Thank you for the elaborate reply.
Unfortunately, most of what you said is over my head. More importantly, I've been working on this project for several years and I'm out of time.

I'm transferring 50-60 year old 8mm films to DVD, trying to get DVD's made asap since some family members are close to leaving us.

So I've made every mistake possible and it's too late to start over. What I have now is passable so I need to go with it.

I just burned another test disc and it looks like I solved the
'mouse-teeth' interlace issue.

I have one more question which I will post in a new thread.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC