8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How prevalent was movie piracy during film era?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How prevalent was movie piracy during film era?
Robert Lee
Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 06:08 AM      Profile for Robert Lee   Email Robert Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a super 8 film title "There's no business like show business." Turns out it's a bootleg copy, someone filmed it with a camera in a theatre. Picture is very washed out and I can see shadows of people's heads at the bottom of the screen.

The bootleg copy must still be expensive, considering its on film.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 07, 2017 06:58 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it come with sound or silent?

It suprises me someone was doing it a long time ago. I was wondering what ASA or film stock he used....considering the darkness and not to mention 50' cartrdiges only.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 07:59 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I wasn't "pirating", I did shoot a roll or two of test film clips in a theater on a couple of occasions with good results both in picture and sound. I used Kodak Ektachrome 160 super 8 sound 50' cartridges at 24fps.
Winbert, there were also 200' cartridges available back then [Smile]

Some of the super 8 dealers also had "bootlegs". Any films that were in a "gray" area concerning copyrights were fair game [Wink]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Robert Lee
Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 11:01 AM      Profile for Robert Lee   Email Robert Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has sound and run at 18fps. Sound is decent. Film is Kodak I think.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 10:31 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - piracy of the specific sort you're referring to is immensely rare. I've never heard of such a print before and I've been collecting Super 8 since the early 1980s. Although we can just about imagine someone tolerating a film shot in a cinema, if it gives them an early home viewing chance to see a new film, paying the very high cost of such a film on Super 8 seems incredible. Actually shooting it on S8 (if that was the case) without being caught makes it even more astonishing, in view of the sound the camera would make.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 10:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely there must be many sections of the actual film missing for each time a cartridge needed to be changed?

50ft or 200ft, that's a lot of film cartridges!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 12:25 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You also occasionally find films copied from TV!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who saw a certain "digest" version of "The Wizard of Oz" that someone recorded off of a TV image! [Eek!]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Lee
Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 12:48 PM      Profile for Robert Lee   Email Robert Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes a lot of cuts in the movie. I'm returning it for a refund even if it's only $20 for 800ft of film.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2017 11:37 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 600' digest of "Curse of Frankenstein" that combined the 2 Americom cutdowns (color and striped) with footage that was shot off of tv. The Americom scenes are beet red and sub-titled. The home made footage has nicer color, but is very shaky and darker - sound is nice, though. It makes a nice 30-minute digest. I just wish the home made footage was done with a tripod. A lot of effort went into this being that the scene selection is in proper order. A one-of-a-kind treasure that is definitely a curiosity piece.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC