8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filming the total solar eclipse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filming the total solar eclipse
Brighid Greene
Junior

- posted August 13, 2017 08:55 PM      Profile for Brighid Greene   Email Brighid Greene   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be heading to see the total solar eclipse, and was recently gifted many reels of Ektachrome 160 and Kodachrome 40 which I want to use for this special moment (learning more about processing those is another thread to itself, but if anyone wants to comment on that too, by all means...)

Anyone have any thoughts about capturing this? I'm not too concerned with needing to capture the actual sun and moon the whole time, but more so want to capture the sensation of being overcome by darkness and then having the daylight return.

|  IP: Logged

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2017 10:19 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love your enthusiasm but I don't think you will have good results in these dark lit conditions.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2017 11:23 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use the Ektachrome 160 as it can still be processed in color for projection and set up your camera to do a time lapse in an interesting location. The K40 can only be processed as a B&W negative now.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 18, 2017 03:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would do it as an experience but would not expect too much (so if the result is acceptable, good surprise and if not, no disappointment). Due to the lack of lightning, I would also advisr 160 asa rather than 40. If your camera can film at 12fps or less, you may consider using that speed as you would get more light. Needless to say, a tripod is necessary to avoid shaking on the screen when the film will be projected at the normal speed.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC