8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Modern substitute for a reflector -- Revere Model 85 projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Modern substitute for a reflector -- Revere Model 85 projector
Michael Schaub
Junior

- posted September 04, 2017 03:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaub   Email Michael Schaub   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a Revere Model 85 8mm projector with the intent of converting films that belong to my in-laws to another media type for their enjoyment.

While inspecting the projector I noticed that it is missing the reflector. It looks like it would be about the size of a quarter. Is there something that I can use to put in its place that will provide the functionality of this part?

Also I did check the rest of the unit and all seems be complete and functioning but before putting it into service what are some of the things that I must do (cleaning, lubrication, etc.) to ensure that it is safe to operate and perform properly?

Lastly I saw the website with the manuals for many different pieces of equipment. I do not see the manual listed for the machine that I have so look forward to copying the manual that I have and provide it for others.

Thanks for any help or advice that you can provide.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 05:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael
It all depends on how you are going to use the projector. I believe it has a 500 watt lamp, which together with its reflector, would probably gives an image some 4ft across.
However, you should be able to get a decent small size picture without the reflector.
Try it. But before you do, somehow cover up the space where the reflector is. This is to contain the upward flow of heat from the lamp which is driven by the fan.
Remember the size of the lamp. Do not fix any material which might be combustible.
The correct condenser would be slightly concave in shape.

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 09:17 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bulb would be a CXY which is a 300 watt or a CZX which is a 500 watt.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

I have this in stock $36.00 plus shipping

CZX/DAB, INC120V-500W 1000160 bulb with ANSI code CZX uses 500 watts and 120 volts. It has a P28S base, and an average rated life of 25 hours. It has a T10 lamp shape, and is an incandescent bulb.

CZX bulb.

CROSS REFERENCES

Imported Lamp Code 605315
3M 78-8454-0810-9
Atlas/Thorn A1/7
Eiko 01130 CZX/DAB
GE 29677 CZX/DAB
Osram 58.8880E
Philips 6152C
Philips 23929-3 CZX/DAB
Ushio 1000160 CZX/DAB, INC120V-500 CZX/DAB,

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Michael Schaub
Junior

- posted September 04, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Michael Schaub   Email Michael Schaub   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard,
The bulb is OK for the time being. If I need one I will keep you in mind. What is missing is the reflector.

Maurice, my intention is to take the 6 - 8 films that belong to my in-laws and convert them to DVD. I have done this with super 8 using a projector that I acquired off Craigs list and projecting the image to a white poster board and recording with a digital camera. It isn't professional grade but is decent.

Recently I purchased a Tele-cine converter and will try that with the rest of the films that I have left to convert to see if that does a better job.

So in answer to your question, this will not be to project across the room on a large screen or anything like that. It will be to project to a poster board or through the tele-cine to record on a digital device (please don't cringe when I say that). [Smile]

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 08:26 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO so you don't need that much light at all.
As long as it's bright enough for say,A4 sized screen in dimly lit room to be seen by eyes,it should be no problem for today's camcorders to see it too. Done some crude test with 10-year old camcorder& EFP-based lamp projector (just 12v 100w of power) - more than enough for that camcorder. [Smile]

BTW I later use direct-image shooting method,no screen involved in the process. Resulted in a much,much improved pict quality.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Michael Schaub
Junior

- posted September 04, 2017 08:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaub   Email Michael Schaub   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Direct image shooting? Never even thought of trying that. I will experiment and see how that works out.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2017 04:19 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if you're still on your experimental "telecine" setup. If yes,here's what I've been doing.
Ok,kinda rude&crude system. [Big Grin] But it really works for me. The major catch is to find a proper lens to be used with (its projection lens might not work). And the picture will be surely upside down,gotta flip in in the post.

-

--------------------

Michael Schaub
Junior

- posted September 16, 2017 07:42 PM      Profile for Michael Schaub   Email Michael Schaub   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I will have a problem finding a lens to use trying the direct method. I have tried the telecine device that I have as well as just using a poster board to project onto a wall with camera set up to record the image. The poster board seems to be working better for me.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2017 01:50 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,here's my little dirty secret. [Big Grin]

An ordinary projection lens for 16mm gauge,the common 50mm f1.6 ones,will work perfectly in this job.
And a 35mm still slide projection lens (100-125mm focal length range) will work just fine for 16mm gauge.

Setting up&alignment is still probably quite a b*tch to complete. But experience will eventually speed it from 2 hours to 15 minutes job. [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC