8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » No Longer Only Star Wars (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No Longer Only Star Wars
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 05:54 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another example today, proving once again that if the right title just so happens to come along, in the right condition, offered to the right people, then it isn't only Star Wars that fetches the big bucks on 8 any longer.
We have already seen examples of where films such as Alien, Aliens, Speed,Terminator & Gentleman Prefer Blondes have fetched these very high prices of around the £1000 mark. Now here is another...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8-Feature-Film-Movie-Victor-Victoria-1982-Julie-Andrews-LPP/302428954040?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 06:00 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I wouldn't pay $10.00 for it but going by the bidding the. two Julie Andrews fans in the world are having a gigantic bun fight. In regards to this title I think we are seeing a once in a lifetime solar eclipse moment 🌚🌚

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 06:25 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must Be mad paying that,I wouldn't do it for any title,Fair play to the seller but large sums of money like that would make me nervous,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 06:27 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least it is on LPP. Also I note a Red Fox LPP print of The Adventures of Robin Hood from the same seller is showing at 10% of that price. I know which I'd bid for (if the postage wasn't so high).

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 06:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
To me it is a print i would dearly love to own one day,in excellent shape of course, but I too wouldn't go quite this far either, no matter how much I admire the work of Dame Julia.

On this occasion, I only wished the whole world now had the outlook that Mike has regarding the legendary Julie Andrews [Wink]

As we always say, there is no accounting for taste now is there? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 07:27 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julie Andrews starred in some decent movies this wasn't one of them. Ironic that a classic film like Robin Hood is going for less than 10% of Victor Victoria shows in a mad world some people have no taste or sense.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 07:39 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
She did indeed Mike, and for at least 4 people in this mad mad world, this is also one of them. [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 10:13 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew only two bidders anyone else is still window shopping. This title has turned up on dealer lists over the years. In fact, I would speculate it was one of the slow sellers for them.

One of those titles Derek brought out because he had access to a negative or had requests from collectors. Right up there with The Elephant Man quite a good film but wouldn't want to part with £250 to own it forever. The Abyss a film that made Raise the Titanic look exciting. Fearless Vampire Killers total amateurish dross from Polanski and despite loving Vincent Price I hate the Masque of the Red Death why couldn't he get any of the other Poe films.

You know my opinion on the Magic Box.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 10:20 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
As said Mike, each to their very own. [Wink]

There are people here and in this hobby in general who wouldn't part with a tenner for a film so the £250 part of it, doesn't really come into it.

For those that like, they are the ones who buy.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 10:22 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and if the bidders know that the very title is still availble for sale in this forum for $300....and still no takers... [Big Grin]

...another one from a Mexican seller for $600... yes more expensive but still below this crazy bid war.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 10:28 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe there are reasons for that Winbert. [Wink]

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars, Star Trek, Hammer Horror, Universal Horror, Horror in general, Science fiction, Spielberg, Disney , Tex Avery and particular stars like Marlilyn Monroe, John Wayne,Elvis & Bogart etc I can understand they are strong genres and have big followings of world wide fans. Victor Victoria I can not understand it is up there with Beatrix Potter and Hugo the Hippo in film collecting terms. Either two Julie Andrews fans with a grudge or memorabilia collectors who have no idea
or clue. Let's face it look what they pay for posters now £100,000 for an original King Kong or £20.00 for a reprint that looks better and won't get stolen.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 12:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an element in all of this that film collectors may simply want to collect all of the very nice prints like the later German and Derann type as well as Red Fox, kempski etc etc.

There have been many offerings of Robin Hood on lPP up for grabs over the years and so maybe those who want one, probably already have one.

Perhaps it will be the more obscure prints like this one here and say titles such as Elephant Man, that when they emerge in top drawer condition, may command the same high prices paid for the more obvious titles.

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 12:32 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us not forget that this price is being reached due to BIDS.... NOT some opportunist setting a price who thinks they have the Holy Grail.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 12:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been here before i thinks,

BTW Melvin, i agree 100% on this, i have always said if a seller starts at a reasonable price then what it ends up at in bids is solely down to the buyer and what They want to pay.
Idiots, like the pillock that listed a trailer with a start price of £799 recently, are just plain dim and clearly have no idea and certainly give ebay the reputation it gets. They need to bring back the listing price based on the start price.

A/ Will it get paid for and
B/ its only a movie, i just dont get this nutty pricing however, well done the seller if they pay, and as someone who is also a seller on ebay solely to raise money to buy other films, i can honestly say i will be delighted if a certain film i will be listing soon get anywhere near this. (no its not T2 or Grease)
I get upset after the effects of parting with 200 for film, guilt seems to set in every time i do it and its quite rare that i do.
If cine was the only way of seeing a film i could seriously understand it, i also appreciate that cine is now very retro and big for collectors but it isn't the only way to see a movie on the big screen.
Anyway, it aint half making us think again. Have to say i am very much loving all the 16mm titles out there and with only 6 feature films in our 16mm collection we are looking to increase to no more than 10/12 due to size and space etc, while some 16 is now becoming scilly priced there are still many many sellers like Mr Guest who sell good films in good nik and at great prices. We are currently awaiting an excellent print of Blue Thunder, i could have bought 6 titles for the price of this Julie Andrews super 8 film.
Anything is worth what someone is willing to pay i guess but remember David Hardy s sanity check thread? That certainly counts for this one [Wink]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 12:42 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said,Tom. I will keep my eyes peeled on Ebay to spot your "mystery" film!

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 12:52 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
And I completely agree with your initial post there Melvin.
This is a film that has risen to this price by demand.
It wasn't started as an expensive print and for that the seller should be commended I feel.

--------------------

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2017 01:10 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Lucky person.

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 05:46 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible these few bidders are so rich, they don't necessarily love the movie, but they will pay any amount without blinking, because that movie just happens to be on their want list. I, personally would gladly buy 3 prints of Robin Hood, 3 of The Wizard of Oz, and 3 of Dumbo before buying 1 print of Victor Victoria.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 05, 2017 06:03 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have The Adventures Of Robin Hood, the Wizard Of Oz and Dumbo, Daniel, but I'd still like Victor Victoria as I am a big big fan of Julie Andrews and all of her work.
I am just not filthy rich and never will be, so I guess I will never see this one in all of it's glory on film sadly.

At £1065, it will never be my money that buys it.

--------------------

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 06:41 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither. Over a thousand pounds? I will never be paying that for a film print. I too have found 16mm features very reasonable over the last couple of years. £80-120 will buy a good print of a good film. The classics will still be expensive but a 'watchable' good film suits me. I want a nice condition print more than an all-time great, the great films will come out on the new formats anyway...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 06:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hyper-priced by two must-win-at-any cost and over excited / money no object bidders in this case I'm sure - the silly season has indeed begun.

I thought it was the one where you see Julie's Thrupenny Bits but it's not even that one - much better to keep the money ready for a nice print of Derann's Mary Poppins or Sound Of Music and see the very best of Julie Andrews at likely half this price or less.

Kevin

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 09:02 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love projecting film. Next to my family and our pets my film and projectors are 2nd. However, there is no way in hell I would ever pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for any film print. I love both "Victor/Victoria" and "Robin Hood", but $600? I can live without them. I could also never be comfortable electronically transacting a purchase for that amount. Film is an obsolete medium. No NEW equipment - just fix the old or buy refurbushed. There's no NEW prints - just old used prints. When there's nobody left to fix projectors and no more replacement bulbs to put into them then the hobby is pretty much done. I just can't see myself making a huge investement into a medium that although I love it I'm too aware its days are numbered.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2017 09:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wellll....

One way to look at it is the conventional wisdom would tell you that the Silver Disk would make these prints worth no more than what a DVD or Blu-Ray costs these days, and probably less.

-yet somebody thinks they're still worth a lot more, and a whole lot at that.

I don't even try to explain this to my non-film friends. I've had a few of 'em ask how much some new feature length print cost me (a rude question).

Standard Answer: More than a pizza, less than a car!

(Other people's hobbies often make no sense: there's no explanation possible.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 09:58 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't mean to put down Victor Victoria, Andrew. It is a good film and you might still find a print for a reasonable price.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC