8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Are there more people in our hobby than meets the eye ? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are there more people in our hobby than meets the eye ?
Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell 'em Shorty! I'm trying to convince my wife to let us do a 'family shore trip' that weekend so I can pop my head in at CineSea! Having a 2 month old seems to complicate things (like having 40+ reels I haven't gotten a chance to screen yet!)

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 09, 2017 03:41 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I hope you can make it!

Winbert, I would have to look at each member's profile to see where they live. There's no way to search by location.

Melvin, I constantly run into collectors who do not participate on forums. The majority of sellers on eBay who are also collectors are among them.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2017 09:41 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A small voice from far,far away land.
Before the dawn of internet,I always though that I'm the only one in my country (Thailand) having this pretty crazy hobby. Then it's realized that there's at least dozens of crazy collectors like me in this relatively small land. [Big Grin]

And yes,the language barrier is a HUGE obstruction for non-English speaking population - let alone lots of senior collectors who even had no idea about internet/social media at all. [Confused]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 10, 2017 11:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although most of us members here would consider it unthinkable to not engage with a forum as good as this one, forums are clearly not for everyone. I know collectors who are perfectly 'normal', sociable people, but who have never joined one! I can think of one or two others who could potentially be great contributors, but they forever lurk, despite occasionally talking about forum content if you see them in person! I find that hard to understand, but I think there can be a variety of reasons, such as:

People with considerable work/family commitments, with little time to watch films, let alone read about film collecting.
Some people are wary of forums in general, having heard of abrasive people, arguments, etc. Or they may feel it would become addictive, if they started posting.
Some people hardly ever buy films other than at conventions, and never sell films, so the buying/selling boards are of no interest.
Some simply prefer to do other things.

So, it all adds up to a lot of people that you never see posting here.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2017 09:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a really decent guy (a lot of us know him) who participates here in his own way: every so often he wants to respond to something I've written here and I get an e-mail, a few years ago it was actually paper mail.

I suppose back 50 years ago it would have been possible to do all this by post. It just would have required a full time secretary to compile the discussions and mail them out. (FAX, anyone?)

-a flame war could last for years! It might weigh a couple of pounds too!

"What am I angry about again?"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 11, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Following on from Adrian's comment.
I know of some people who read this Forum but have never considered being a contributing member.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 11, 2017 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On reading all this, those very cloistered folks will have their interest churned about,a nd make the discovery of intercommunicating here at maybe at CINESEA - One important area of consideration when we meet at the shore, we share films and good meals, but of the utmost, we make each other laugh - No social barrier will ever hold up to that - Come join us one and all - Cheers, Shorty

Todd N. Tuckey
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Todd N. Tuckey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PLUS...Tammy and I are coming in THURSDAY night...a day earlier!!

--------------------
Todd N. Tuckey

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 11, 2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm there now, talk about dedicated - LOL

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 11, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was that you up on the Boardwalk this morning?

I KNEW it!

(I actually never went home the last time!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2017 06:04 PM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 90s I was HEAVY into 16mm collecting. At the end of the 90s I got out of it, but I still enjoy this site and viewing titles and equipment on Ebay.

John Last
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 09:29 AM      Profile for John Last   Email John Last       Edit/Delete Post 
what a wonderful topic! Now we all need a publication so as we all can benefit from each other's knowledge. IMM has bitten the dust in UK so can someone start another one? Sorry I can't as age is creeping too fast!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 10:15 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John - There are, in fact, at least TWO publications printed in the UK which may be of interest.

"Projections" which is "Film and disc at home on the BIG screen."
This does cover film and Dvd/Blu Ray but there is quite a lot of 8mm / 16mm articles in there and lots of projector talk! You can contact Pete at email Projections@hotmail.co.uk

The second is "Film Collector" published by Classic Home Cinema (CHC) of Grimsby/Cleethorpes UK, which is dedicated to "all film formats,the cinema, art etc etc" Phil's contact Email address is
chcinema@aol.com

Thought this may be of help.

Does anyone know any more publications?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2017 10:58 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - I think Flickers is still going and of course 9.5 magazine which I subscribe to.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC