8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 'New Generation' Kodak White Acetate Leader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'New Generation' Kodak White Acetate Leader
James Romero
Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for James Romero   Email James Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, Kodak has discontinued all of their, what I call now, their 'Classic' White Acetate Leader. In it's place, is a clear acetate leader that has a white writable coating and grey back on it's base side. Also there is a major price increase for this new leader.

If any of you want to stock up on the 'Classic' leader you all have known and loved. Stock up now! Kodak has already depleted all of their supplies.

Film Forever MPE has limited inventory...but it is selling out fast. Film Forever MPE

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2017 04:46 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

From my side I have a small "stock" for Kodak White leader (Acetate) which comes under RERENCE 4695.

I can' t recommend it as it has probably shrinked a bit, poor quality in fact (noisy).

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 05:17 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the white acetate leader was pretty expensive as it was. It strikes me that you only need it to protect the first and last few frames on family home movies unlike commercially released films where there is a long length of film before the action begins and at the end. Wouldn't a length of blank film serve the same purpose as the leader?

James Romero
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for James Romero   Email James Romero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak leader is a tad thicker and protects your film from jams and mishaps in your autothread projector...because as we all know...every projector no matter how precise the alignment...mis-threads from time to time. Why destroy your original film print countdown leader? Kodak leader is replaceable...your original print is not. I personally add leader to every one of my film prints both 8mm, Super 8mm and 16mm. Keep your original print pristine and protected from threading damage from 1st frame to end frame. It takes one bad mishap to fully destroy at least a foot of film...and that's if you are right there to catch it when it happens. It's cheap insurance for your film prints. Just my two cents on the subject. Also I would buy only acetate leader and not the plastic kind...which is notorious for jamming in an autothread projector.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 19, 2017 06:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ regarding your opening statement there James.

It isn't "Every" by any means. [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 20, 2017 02:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the instructions for Sankyo projectors is the following regarding threading.
"Splice about 20 inches of white leader to the film."
It also recommends that the leader should slightly curl in the direction of the film take-up.

--------------------
Maurice

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 07:48 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always surprised at how few used Super 8 films I buy have leader spliced onto the front. Maybe 1 in 10 do. It's no wonder so many films are missing all or part of the title.

The first thing I do when I get a print is to splice on 2 feet of white leader at the head and a foot of black leader at the tail. Like what was said, leader is replaceable, the film is not. To me that makes leader a cheap investment. Even at the tail where the last half inch of film gets bent out of shape from inserting it in the slit in the reel - better to cut off an inch of leader occasionally than to lose frames from the film.

For sure film collecting is an expensive hobby, but leader is a cheap investment to protect our precious films. Like I said, I'm always surprised at how few films actually have leader on them.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 20, 2017 02:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, im the same, what the hell do people do to there films to have no leader or/and no tail? Its beyond me [Confused]

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 02:27 PM      Profile for Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Email Daniel D. Teoli Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the white leader. But I'd also like a plain clear leader. Does anyone make a clear leader?

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 05:28 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said, the leader can be used to protect the front and end of film reels. I realise that the acetate leader is thicker but commercial films without it load ok (I always stop the projector when the film emerges by the take up spool and thread it manually). So, why not use lengths of blank or scrap film instead?

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 21, 2017 09:40 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a fair point, but I'd say the advantage with white is:

It's conspicuously not part of the film, and if you're projecting in a dark room, it may be easier to see how much is emerging from the projector.

It's ideal for writing on (with a permanent marker), which is very common with 16mm but less so with 8mm.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2017 06:47 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like most film people,when I get a film of any gauge and it doesn't have a leader or it is too short,I add a leader.
If it is missing titles etc then at least I know that I will see the very start of what's left by adding a new leader.
I've got some films where previous owners have added leader by using unwanted processed film,if you are going do this then I think it's better to have it upsidedown maybe,that way it's not actually part of the feature [Smile]
Just a thought ....

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC