8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 3d printing? the thing that should keep film alive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3d printing? the thing that should keep film alive?
Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 04:44 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Technics turntable that had a plastic cam that always cracked and prevented the arm from lifting. I looked on forums and found someone had 3 d printed new parts, so now a turntable that was once "unfixable" became repairable. So it got me thinking, cant we 3d print greenguides for the elmo projectors and other wear prone parts of our now aging projectors? has anyone at temped to 3 d print any projector parts? if not, how could we go about getting it started?

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 09, 2017 04:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://shop.van-eck.net/film-projector-parts/p-1a/PP-0098.html

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 09, 2017 05:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with 3D printing is the difference in the physical properties of the finished printed part as compared to the original parts. Such properties as surface finish, wear, friction coefficient, and tensile strength, can exclude 3D printing from a great many parts applications.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will that be something that will change with more time? or will it always be a lesser part? meaning due to the newness of the technology, will these issues be something that can be worked out with time?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 09, 2017 07:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conventional parts manufacture is usually performed by what is known as a subtractive process, where the part is formed by removing material from a larger piece of metal or plastic. 3D fabrication is an additive process, where the part is made by forming successive layers of the part. In between these two are castings and moldings which usually use the exact amount of injection material required for the part.
The quality of a 3D plastic part depends on the number of layers. A crude part will have just a few layers whereas a high quality part may have hundreds of layers. Plastic parts are much easier to fabricate in 3D than metal parts, because typically plastic parts are not required to carry high loads and therefore the molten plastic material used to form the layers is often close enough in physical properties to do the job. The same is not true for metal parts which often have to carry high loads, have high hardness, and have surface finishes measured in microinches. Examples of this are metal gears, cams, and linkages.
No doubt in time, 3D printing will be perfected even for these kind of parts, but as far as I know, it's not there yet. This is why Edwin has offered, so far, only replacements for existing plastic parts on film projectors.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2017 09:45 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Dominique, for the link, and thank you to Paul also. This was very informative. I hope as a fan of vintage audio and photography, that the Tech improves quickly.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC