8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Till The Clouds Roll By L.P.P. feature question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Till The Clouds Roll By L.P.P. feature question
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 21, 2017 12:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about this one. I have found out that yes, this was released on L.P.P. film stock, but from what i have read, all the source prints for this feature have been from bad neg sources. That is, the color has been very iffy on it.

Is this true of the L.P.P. copies of this feature as well, or did they come up with a very good print source?

By the way, as another neat curiosity, the trailer for this was released on low fade film stock and that was taken from a very good color print source, as I've seen it and it is kind of a funny case of the trailer looking far better than the feature on super 8! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 21, 2017 02:33 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many excerpts available from this film but I have never seen one which had good colour.

--------------------
Maurice

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 03:12 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this feature. My print is indeed on LPP stock and has 'subdued' color. But I am not sure if that was due to technical reasons, or if this was intentional.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 03:15 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HAVE THIS ON 16MM AND WILL BE FOR SALE AT BLACKPOOL

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2017 01:00 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When first released after it had fallen into the Public Domain by Mizzell Films (I think that is the correct name but I may not be remembering it correctly) the ad description listed it as coming from a 35mm IB Technicolor print. However, the film base had yellowed and it throws the palette off balance. Later when Red Fox Films made their own release they printed it lighter to remove some of the yellowing. In doing so, the color was desaturated. I do not know if they used the Mizzell Reduction Negative or made a new one from the 35mm print. Nor do I know what preprint material was used for UK release but possibly another source with less than perfect color.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 22, 2017 01:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a print of Til The Clouds Roll By which I purchased from the local public library in 1990. It was a stunning print, extremely sharp, with deep rich colors. I sold it to Derann, which I now regret.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2017 11:21 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that was one of the Red Fox prints, Paul?

I do know that red Fox, when they were using low fade film stoc, released many prints that were literally second to none, (not true all the time but was often the case). I have an agfa "Robin Hood' Red Fox print and it is truly stunning.

Thanks for the info thus far. the only prints I have seen stateside have been the quick fade eastman prints which are varying shades of red to beet red, but I'll keep on looking.

I must confess, however, that I'm really looking for just the complete reel on of this feature on L.P.P. or agfa film stock, as i personally felt that the high point of this film was the first ever (on film) excepts from the musical "Showboat" which was very well done. [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2017 06:01 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the full length feature on Eastman LPP (1982 date code).

My copy has a lot of wear from the master but I could easily imagine the master material must have been a nice looking IB Tech when it was first released.

I'm not sure who released my copy but the colors are desaturated.
Perhaps, I have one of the Red Fox prints that Joe described.

If I had to take a guess, perhaps some of those faded copies that you've seen Osi have been Red Fox releases printed on Eastman. Considering the date code on my film, other prints around the time could have easily have been printed on non-LPP Eastman.

-
 -

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2017 09:16 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you have a Red Fox print. My Mizzell print not only has brighter and richer color, its "warmer" due to the yellowing of the IB Technicolor print that was used. On some shots the yellowing is more prevalent and you know it shouldn't be there. But generally, the richness of the Technicolor makes up for it. However, I am writing from memory as to what my print looked like years ago as I have not screened it recently. I need to check and see if my print has turned...

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2017 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, i must admire you're collection from afar, Jason!

That is certainly passable color in my book! I'd probably never find just reel one from this on L.P.P., but I'll keep hoping. Thank you for the lovely screenshots! [Smile] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2017 03:37 PM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice screenshots Jason. This is exactly how my print looks like, also printed on Kodak LPP.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC