8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Faded Viewing. Not a Criticism (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Faded Viewing. Not a Criticism
Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2017 11:55 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, faded prints are a no no myself. I have a copy of the devil rides out which has faded a bit, but not very much, that i could tolerate as i got the print for £20 at a boot sale and it has no lines etc.

I would never destroy a red print though, one man's trash is another person's treasure after all, who knows some might like the aged 'red' look [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2017 12:07 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my shows are public and generally, I wouldn't consider showing a faded film simply because few members of the public have ever seen anything less than perfect. I've never seen pink/red films either on t.v. or the Cinema. I certainly wouldn't buy one, but I do have one or two in my library. Either, they are rare or of particular interest in subject matter, or, when I bought them, the colour was perfect and I still enjoy running them for myself. I don't enjoy faded film and would rather buy a blu-ray than waste money on a print that can be improved on albeit in another form.

--------------------
Dave

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 22, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus and David, (both David's [Big Grin] ), i agree 100%,
to be able to show off the cine films to an audience today they cannot be red, slight fade,as said, is something i can live with and only view on my own or with my fellow collector Brother.
As Clause said, why give the doubters who insist that digital is best any ammunition to say "why do you bother".
[Wink]

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2017 12:53 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With so many replies, this thread illustrates the passion that grows, as one's collection does. I wanted to clarify a particular point I made previously in the discussion. I mentioned that I had some abridged features that are red or faded, and that I had not yet projected. I preview newly acquired prints on my editor. I have received 2 prints at a gamble from eBay that have turned, and two from established sellers who were not aware of the print quality at the time of the sale. I have been offered credits and so forth. I haven't bothered any further with these prints other than to point out the difference between a good print and a lost one. I also stated that I have not "binned" them. That is not because I wish to say" I have It".
Rather, I think these prints still have a use, for test reels etc.
To sum up: A very good topic with many well placed views.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 23, 2017 01:54 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Burton, i did put in the title not a critisism for this reason, i am of course aware that a 200 or 400 short can make a good test reel for anyone who is reparing a projector etc.
I can also see how collectirs are also happy to say that they just own a title although that wouldnt be for me.
As time goes by though it may be that i either go to the discs a bit more or buy a lot less now and take care of what we have as best we can. [Wink]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2017 03:07 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was a good topic Tom,and I stand by what I said,re chucking red prints away,at least you can re-use the reels.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 23, 2017 03:11 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very ture david. [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC