8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cleaning the outside of a metal projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning the outside of a metal projector
Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2018 06:32 AM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi people.

This may sound a little dumb, but I have my doubts about how to clean the exteriors of a venerable machine I got recently.

There are a lot of tips on how to clean the internals, but I haven't found any thread about cleaning the outside. If it had a plastic casing, I wouldn't have any doubts - probably warm water with a light soap. But as it is a venerable metal machine (it will weight a ton or so), I have the following doubts:

- I don't want to cause any corrossion, so water is totally forbidden.
- Alcohol based products (or pure alcohol) will probably damage the painting.
- Any other solvant, petrol or synthetic products will probably have the same negative effects on the paint/coating layer.
- I can think of some furniture-cleaning sprays but they tend to leavy things shiny and greasy and I don't think if it's the best approach, either.

As a side note, it's not only dust and particles that could be removed applying compressed air, but this machine has a thick layer of dirt stuck on it [Razz]

What kind of products or process do you use to clean the outside of your metal projectors??

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 07, 2018 07:06 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered vinegar ?

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 07, 2018 07:27 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try WD 40, its good at cleaning most things without any further damage occurring....

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 07, 2018 09:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try some light machine oil applied sparingly on a cloth. If the projector is black, it will shine with pride.

--------------------
Maurice

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 07:38 PM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot for your tips! I discarded the vinegar because it's acidic and certainly can corrode metal if applied for a long time, and probably could damage the paint coat, too.

About WD40: I got the first can in my life about a couple of months or so. Still it was unopened. Although I "know" it from the net, in this land it's not much known, for sure, and we don't have that notion of it being an "all-purpose" "miracle product" for almost any usage, but more of a an all-purpose lubricant oil like "3 in 1" or so. I tried it on my machine but only helped for the more external layer of dust - it has such a layer of grease and stuck dirt that it couldn't remove it.

Finally I couldn't resist aplying some dish soap dilluted in warm wather gently with a cloth, drying it very quickly. I started on some plastic pieces, like in a set of 4 switches for operating, and immediately the efects were obvious. I was more reluctant of applying it on the metal casing itself, so did it in selected areas and was very quick in order to not apply moisture for a very long time, so in the end it's not totally clean, but at least I can put it on the shelf for display [Big Grin]

The truth is the only thing that could properly clean it was wather with soap, so I think we still have yet to find the best product for use on metal parts prone to oxidize...

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 03:06 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 can take a while to break down grease and gunk, and can also help with de-oxidation. Try leaving it on for a little longer before dabbing or buffing. I use it to polish old metal and plastic film cans and spools, as well as metal projector parts, and the results are often superb, but it requires persistence.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 05:53 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WD40 is a wonder. I used it to remove adhesive left on lino when removing carpet tiles. Best effect if left for a few minutes. End of commercial.

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was so sleepy while writing the later comment that (appart from probably a bunch of mispellings and other errors) I was unable to tell that on some clear, light-gray (almost white) painted parts, applying WD-40 made it look like "stained" with little oil dots. No sure yet if it's the best cleaner for this material [Razz]

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 05:17 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pere, you said that there is such a layer of grease and dirt that WD40 couldn't remove it. How did the machine get into such a state and what are the internal parts like?

Pere Pasqual
Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Pere Pasqual   Author's Homepage   Email Pere Pasqual   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Will,

I got it from a flea market. It didn't have any box; it was on the outside. The mains cable is missing, too, and it's not standard. A pity, because the socket is bigger than usual and no cable I have at home will fit in there. So I haven't been able to turn it on yet.

It's a Hanimex Loadmatic dual P300. Strangely, I haven't found any info about it on the net. I bet the seller got it from the dumpster or so. That would explain the amount of dirt on its surface, appart from the fact that it's very old - I would say from the early 70s. But appart from that, it seems to be in great condition, and it looks like a venerable machine I like aesthetically. The casing is 100% metal, and the few identifiable plastic pieces aren't weared of cracked. It's a dual, silent projector, and it weights a ton - almost the same as an Eumig s810D or even a bit more, despite being a 10-20% smaller.

Haven't dismantled it totally yet, appart from the piece covering the bulb, which is a 50 W one with the common "astronaut" shape.
I bet it doesn't have a rubber piece on it and that works flawlessly; looks unbreakable.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 08:03 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Find liquid Gone Gone on Amazon.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC