8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 3D films (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3D films
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 09:19 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spurred by the film put on eBay for sale by Osi, I open this thread (I don't found other similar thread).
Let's make a list of all Std8/Super8 films that had a 3D print?

I start:
Creature From The Black Lagoon (Super 8)
Spooks (Std8)

Since I would like to buy one, I would like to know if someone has them for sale, or if knows some shop that has them. Of course, only if the 3d effect has not completely disappeared!

|  IP: Logged

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 09:43 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 400' Universal 8 Super 8 Sound digest of "It Came From Outer Space" It came with a pair of 3D glasses. I haven't screened it in over 30 years and it's currently in storage so I have no clue what the condition of the print is...I remember the 3D alien being pretty cool. Not selling but one to add to your list.

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 02:45 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Murder in 3D was a 200ft release from Derann on Super 8. I have a faded copy of it.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 03:32 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mad Magician from Colombia as a 400ft.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 27, 2018 08:50 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love 3D! Here's a thread about this subject from back in 2008.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're trying to determine when Columbia first issued the 8mm 3-D shorts. They are not in a 1962 brochure but are listed in a 1966 catalog.

They represent the first example of dual-35mm polarized 3-D converted to red/cyan anaglyphic for home use. This was long before the TV broadcasts of the early 1980's.

If you have an interest in 3-D history, you might find our website of interest. I've been working in this field since the early 80's. Thanks! www.3dfilmarchive.com

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 09:17 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bob, I'm a long time fan of your website and your team's wonderful Blu ray 3-D restorations, and I'm looking forward to THE MAZE!
Luigi, I would add the super 8 Derann release of The Three Stooges' PARDON MY BACKFIRE 400 footer...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 09:24 AM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much, Joe!

What many people do not realize is that high quality polarized 3-D on film was available in the home before the widespread release of 3-D in theaters.

We talk about it briefly on this page: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/The-Bubble

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 10:27 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we talk about you writing that book on 3-D Shorts - Shorty

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who needs a book when it's all on our website?

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/golden-age-3-d

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! You really do have a great website!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 12:31 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Osi.

There's close to four decades of original research shared on the site, all of it from documented, primary source materials.

It was put online for two reasons: to promote our restoration work on 3-D Blu-ray and to counter the amount of wrong information that has gotten online and sourced from a woefully inaccurate book by R.M. Hayes on the subject. If he didn't know something, basically, he guessed and now much of his speculation is fact on IMDB, Wikipedia and other sites.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 06:07 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for my bad search, Doug!

Also "Third Dimensional Murder", wow!

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 04:32 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the discs is there a list of the titles that are OK for the UK.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 05:31 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, are you talking about our 3-D Blu-ray titles?

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 29, 2018 11:04 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past weekend we set up the 3D on my Grandson's Epsom digital projector. I was very skeptical that it would be worth watching but decided to give it a go. We hooked up a Sony blu ray player with 3D capability and I purchased a pair of 3D shutter glasses at Best Buy for $39.00 (the Epsom glasses are $99.00!). We put in the 3D blu ray of Titanic and WOW, it was just amazing on an 8ft wide screen! Just about perfect with no double imaging that I could say and wonderful 3D all round.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 11:50 AM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you have a wealth of Golden Age 3-D on Blu-ray to discover and enjoy!

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, if you're going to buy anything in 3D make sure you check it isn't faded. I have 'Murder in 3D' and 'It Came from Outer Space' and all have faded making the 3D useless. Fortunately I've got a 3D projector and t.v. and it's usually spectacular. Love 'The Bubble' with it's fantastic out of the screen effects.

--------------------
Dave

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 03:29 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Murder in 3D print is on Agfa and not faded, so as you say best to check before buying, but there are fade-free prints out there. From what I have read it wasn't the best-made 3D film and may need the glasses reversing to get anything like a good result.

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 03:43 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1941 35mm nitrate prints of THIRD DIMENSIONAL MURDER were printed cyan/magenta (not cyan/red) and the red was the right side.

There was no attention paid to convergence during principal photography and even in an original nitrate print, most of the 3-D is very hard on the eyes.

I believe the Super 8 prints are taken from a 16mm reduction so they are quite a few generations removed from an original. This makes the anaglyphic 3-D (which requires pure colors) even harder to decode.

[ January 29, 2018, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Bob Furmanek ]

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 29, 2018 05:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob

Thats an excellent and very informative web-site you have [Cool]

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 05:06 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're very kind, thank you Graham.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 02:47 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob- What is your opinion on the Fangoria and Eddie Sammons books?

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 08:40 AM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't own those books so can't comment on them, sorry.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 11:12 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My original 3D print of the U8 400ft digest of Creature From The Black Lagoon has now faded to the point of not working 3D wise. But my later Derann print of the same digest, presumably printed on low fade stock, still has good 3D (for anaglyphic super 8mm that is!).
Getting back to home digital 3D projection, I had no idea how good it was, really comparable to the professional cinema. Hugo is just amazing in 3D, and a quick look at Titanic looks equally impressive. As a lover of MGM musicals, I intend to pick up Kiss Me Kate which reportedly has great 3D.
I am now spending a lot of time on Bob's superb web pages. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC