8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 3D films (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 3D films
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 11:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, concerning super 8 3D, that it can be really hit or miss as to whether the 3D effect really works well, even on an L.P.P. print. Some effects will be OK, but a lot of the effects seem to have the red blur to far apart (that's the only way i can describe it), for the two to mesh well in order to give the viewer the really nice view.

I can't imagine that the original release of these was that bad, as 3D wouldn't have lasted a week when it first came out and i wonder if it could be a problem with how we view these, these days.

A good example of this is on my Universal 8 "It Came From Outer Space". It still have great unfaded color, and some of the 3D works strikingly well, but other part of it are terrible, to be honest.

Could part of it be to dark of a projection, or not enough distance from the projected image? just curious.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind, Osi. Except for the MGM Pete Smith shorts in the late 1930's and some Lippert and Burlesque shorts in 1953, all of these films were originally seen theatrically in the vastly-superior dual-35mm polarized 3-D. There's really no comparison in quality.

Anaglyphic 3-D only works well on printed material, such as comic books.

3-D on Blu-ray is the closest you can get today on how these films looked when first released.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2018 12:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still remember the first 3D film I actually saw ... on TV, "Gorilla At large" (TERRIBLE film) and this was back in the days that it was a big thing to broadcast this kind of thing. They sold 3D glasses all over town ahead of time for this film and the proceeds were used to hep the unfortunate.

--------------------

Bob Furmanek
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 12:36 PM      Profile for Bob Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Furmanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For anaglyphic 3-D to work, you need a pure red/cyan image. Once a film has been copied multiple times, the purity of those colors severely diminish.

In the case of the 8mm 3-D prints, you are working from a dupe negative that is (at least) four generations removed from the left/right camera originals. That's a LOT of copying and loss of quality. Add in the fading of composite negatives from the early 1970's when these anaglyphic elements were made and you have a recipe for disaster.

--------------------
Bob Furmanek
www.3dFilmArchive.com

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 06:12 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, I'm looking for 3D films that are not faded.
Fortunately, the ones I found, it is specified that the film is faded or not, but not faded are rare!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 31, 2018 12:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, Derann films re-released both "Creature From The Black Lagoon" and "It Came From Outer Space, and both on low fade film stock, so be sure that it's a Derann films re-print if you go after these two! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC