8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » B&W Prints of Color Films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B&W Prints of Color Films
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
B&W and Color both available, but which to choose? Might try it. At least I won’t have to deal with the dreaded Eastman Fade. Anyone else buy monochrome versions of something originally made in color? Castle often offered both.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2019 10:02 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2019 10:13 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last year I bought four B&W prints of films originally made in colour.
Al Jennings of Oklahoma , originally Technicolor
The Sword of Monte Cristo, originally SuperCinecolor
Footsteps in the Fog, originally Technicolor
The Big Land (Warnercolor?)
I have several others collected over time. They can vary; sometimes they are on the greyish side, but the first two on this list are crisp B&W. If you didn't know better you would think they were originally B&W.

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2019 04:50 PM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it interesting that when Ken Films released American International's "Frankenstein Conquers the World" they must have struck their prints from a television dupe, since they only released b&w/silent and b&w/sound versions even though the original film is in color. All other AIP films in the 1976 release run featured color digests if the original film was in color.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2019 07:53 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, when color tv was very ordinary in the 70’s, would stations broadcast monchrome versions of color movies? You’ld think they would have viewers leave their channels and complain... “I didn’t spend hundreds of dollars on a color Zenith just to see the two colors black and white nor shades thereof.”

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2019 09:07 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 X 400' "Nightmare in Wax", "Blood Devils", "Blood of Dracula's Castle", " Destination Inner Space" and 5 X 400' "Canadian Pacific", all originally color features. I Would have preferred these to be LPP Color but the B&W prints were all I could get. It is still enjoyable to screen these. B&W on color stock...There's enough there for another thread.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2019 05:08 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've also got to remember in the early 1970's B/W stock was nearly half the price of colour film, thus the distributors offered B/W prints of colour titles as means of the average collector to start buying feature length prints, although I did wonder why Walton only offered B/W prints of 'Genevieve' and 'Doctor in the House' as I would have thought these would have sold well in colour versions, most probably the masters that were available at the time!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 20, 2019 06:06 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often wondered why collectors club only offered the two features, Carry on Doctor and the Magnificent two in b/w, although i know the later had a single 400ft extract released in colour.
At least the carry on doctors will never suffer with fade, the huge plus of a b/w film obviously.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2019 09:06 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had full B&W episodes of The Flinstones on 16mm and that show was color. I don't know the ins and outs of TV but maybe it had to do with certain stations broadcasting abilities?

Bill Harris
Junior

- posted January 22, 2019 03:33 PM      Profile for Bill Harris   Email Bill Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man on the Eiffel Tower and Destination Moon.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 24, 2019 03:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We viewed a film we have called the Naked and the Dead tonight. An excellent hard hitting war film for its time from 1958 This was originally a cinemascope technicolour feature. I managed to get a DVD of it a couple of years ago.
This super 8 version was released by Mountain films, 4 x 400ft reels. The edit is pretty good with a running time of 60 minutes so it fits well on 2 x 600ft reels.
However, this was only released on super 8 in B/W and flat. The sound on it is first class but the image is very slightly soft, similar to the MGM's.

As a B/W release of a colour film it works very well,
We would love to get hold of a scope IB tech 16mm print.

Be interesting If anyone knows of a super 8 colour version [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC