8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Silent L&H Blackhawk Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Silent L&H Blackhawk Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 09:02 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aside from “Big Business”, “You’re Darn Tootin”, “Two Tars” and “Liberty” were there any other SILENT L&H titles released with music/sound effects?

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 10:45 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Habeas Corpus: S-8, scored and not a Vitaphone score.
Bacon Grabbers:S-8, Vitaphone score.
That's My Wife: S-8, Vitaphone score.

The Battle OF The Century Pie Fight, with a scored sound track but
The Battle OF The Century extended version contains an organ score by Gaylord Carter.

Aside from Blackhawk's music score on Liberty, I'm unsure if Blackhawk released Liberty containing the Vitaphone score on S-8. Film Preservation Associates The Blackhawk Collection, (FPA) restored the 16's with the Vitaphone track.

I'm unsure that Wrong Again with the Vitaphone score was released on S-8,
but FPA released 16's containing the Vitaphone score.

Angora Love containing the Vitaphone score was only available on S-8 when FPA reopened The Blackhawk Library, releasing a limited amount of S-8 prints for a brief period of time. The Vitaphone score is also available on 16mm by FPA.

FPA restored Do Detectives Think? The picture is superb 35mm quality and contains the Vitaphone score.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 12, 2018 05:57 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WRONG AGAIN was released (limited again) with the Vitaphone track, on Super 8 - Just ran it - Fraternally, Shorty

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty,

Thanks for the clarity on Wrong Again, and was this short released by Blackhawk, or FPA?
My favorite Vitaphone score is on Bacon Grabbers, and 99% in Liberty.
The part of Liberty from The Blackhawk score that I prefer is when Stan is pulling the rope, trying to hold on, balancing on the ladder while he's grabbing for his dear life.

The complete version of Habeas Corpus is recognizable from when Leo The Lion Roars, the sound of the roar is a French Horn or Tuba musical instrument.

I love it when The Boys are running on the cemetery grounds, Stan's walking with the sack he calls: Babe and later chasing behind Ollie and you can read his lips shouting: "Hey Babe!", the beloved name called by his friends, Babe Hardy.

[ March 12, 2018, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Michael De Angelis ]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 12, 2018 03:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I love is even in the silents, you'll see Ollie mouth "Why don't you do something to HELP me?!!"

My favorite among this bunch is "You're Darn Tootin'"

-a silent musical! (That's pretty daring!)

I wouldn't like it half as much without John Phillip Sousa's help, I'm sure!

"Where's your license?"
"We have no dog!"

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2018 04:35 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like that: A silent musical, the same as in the early days, people listened to Fred Astaire tap dancing on the radio.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2018 05:46 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or listened to ventriloquist Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC