8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Lost Audio on “ The Mummy” Digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lost Audio on “ The Mummy” Digest
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 400’ copy of “The Mummy” from U/8 and the audio somehow got erased. Not by me. It was a purchase on Ebay and it arrived this way. Would anyone be able to re-record the audio for me? I’ll gladly pay for the trouble provided it’s a reasonable amount.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2018 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bump

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2018 05:39 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bump

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2018 06:33 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has the sound been totally erased or just a portion? In the first case, you need to create a sound digest consistent with your cut-down prior to re-recording it. And that can take quite a lot of time. Another option would be to find an identical cut-down and transfer its sound from the good one to your own. This would be a rather straightforward process, except you need to find a lender... If you can borrow a perfectly identical print of your digest, I can do it for you at no charge except postage. I use quartz-synced equipment so no sound chasing-drifting etc...

--------------------
Maurizio

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2018 09:14 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Silent except for a faint “whooshing” sound. The postal service must have placed it on something magnetized and erased the whole damned thing on me.

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 07:31 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then it’s gotta be reworked from scratch and it’s a long careful procedure. Plus given the pitfalls of the postal service, there is no guarantee the new re-recording might not turn out with the same problem once the film is back in your hands. If you have access locally to a projector with fine speed pitch control and to a collector who can lend the same print to you, I suggest you try that on your own: recording the sound straight from a good print by hooking two projectors (line out-line in) should be quite easy, although the end result will not be as good as S/8 can be.

--------------------
Maurizio

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 09:14 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you shouldn't put the blame on the USPS. They don't use anything that would erase the mag tracks on films.
Since you got it off of eBay you should have returned it for a refund. That being said, one forum member that can do the job for you is Adam Deierling. He does excellent re-recordings of digests and features, his costs are reasonable due to the work involved, especially with a digest...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted April 12, 2018 09:20 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is the same, someone said it was suppose to he like this

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 10:46 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe, the seller did give me a partial refund stating that he tested the print before putting it up for auction and said the sound was fine. I will pm adam and see what we can arrange.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2018 08:23 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam did a Fantastic job. OMG the sound is amazing! Thank you, Adam, you are a Prince! Worth every penny!!!!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC