8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Colour film!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Colour film!!
Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like I've exhausted all my searches, but still can't find Colour 8mm film cheaper than £36.99 from the UK, & 45chf in Germany, and living in Switzerland I have the postage and import fees on top!!

Where do you buy yours from, brand, and how much?

I'm happy to film in B&W, but just for our first family holiday coming up in April, where we go to Cornwall, England (I lived there for 14 years before moving here), I'd REALLY like to capture it in colour! Hoping by then I'll be ready to film :-P

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2018 07:40 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Wittner Cinitec, that’s probably your best option in Europe.

Wittner Cinitec

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 17, 2018 07:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to shoot a lot before 2014, not for the art things, but more just like our daily shooting with Video. I shot my kid's birthday, our holidays, etc, etc...nothing fancy. That one when Kodak was still manufacturing color stocks.

But now, Kodak stop manufacturing (although there is a roumor it will create a new stock) and we end up with a very expensive price now. From what used to be $18-22 now to become $35. I now stop my casual shooting since with developing cost + shipping, the total will become around $50-75 for 3 minutes (a cartridge).

So I am afraid I should say, you come a little bit late, so now has to deal with this expensive price. The old (expired) color film stocks that can be still developed at affordable price E6 such as Kodak 64T and Ektachrome 64 have also increased to become $45-60 now.

There are some cheap expired color film stock but the developing cost is very expensive and rare.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 17, 2018 08:04 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve, sadly colour film is expensive now. Kahl, in Germany manufactures 8mm film but it's not cheap http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=17
If you're looking for super 8, the same company can also provide stock but, again, at a price http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=8

We're all waiting for Kodak to reintroduce reversal colour stock but so far it's not on the market. Neither is the Ferrania film that had been promised years ago but is still in a test phase.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 17, 2018 08:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eve

This film stock should be out soon, also as well as being on this forum, check out "Super 8mm" facebook page as well. There are some that are right into filmaking.. big time [Smile]
 -

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2018 03:40 AM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your comments, I think I just needed to hear that before I went ahead and bought some colour film.. (Standard 8mm not Super 8)

My mother lives in Wales and is coming to Cornwall to visit my family whilst we are there, so I've ordered 2 Wittner Chrome 200 D, to be delivered to her address, and will take a couple of Fomapan B&W with me too :-)

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 18, 2018 03:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve
There are many sellers offering outdated standard 8 Kodachrome on eBay. At one time Kodak processed this film free as it was included in the purchase price. It was a great film and was used extensively.
However, Kodak discontinued this some years ago, and then closed their labs which offered the free processing. It was a complicated process.
I believe that only one private lab in the USA were able to continue processing but it was no longer free of charge. But, even that lab may now not offer the facility.
As we all know, eBay is a complete minefield, with many sellers offering items (cine particularly) which they know nothing about.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 18, 2018 05:42 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice is, as usual, correct. That American lab processed (and may be still doing so) Kodachrome but in black and white only. I believe that the reason is that there are no longer chemicals available. You should have no problem to have your Wittner films processed

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2018 07:19 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Kodachrome can only be processed as a B&W negative so you get a digital copy of your film or you would have to have a print made of the negative if you wanted to project it. So Kodachrome can be useful for these scenarios but at a price. [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 18, 2018 05:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
.. (Standard 8mm not Super 8)
Guys, I think this makes the search is even much harder. Your suggestions are mostly related to super 8mm.

Eve, even when Kodak was still manufacturing color film stock pre-2012, that was super 8mm. I believe it did not longer make standard 8mm (also called as regular 8mm) far before that.

The only person that I knew making standard 8mm (I believe by slitting 16mm color film stock) is John Schwind that can be contacted from here: https://www.buy8mmfilm.com/

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 04:13 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Eve Oval-Bruegger: I think you made a good purchase. Wittner Chrome 200D (an Agfachrome RSX-II 200 emulsion) is a film that I like, even if not at all for its high graininess.
The 200 Asa, however, are useful in conditions of not high light, and for return to practice with the 8mm is good.

It's usually available with development also from super8.nl in Netherlands (but now is out of stock) and from Andec in Germany, which now however develops at super8.nl lab.

Ah, if, maybe in the future, you're going to edit your film with a classic way, with a splicer, remember that this film is in polyester (and not in acetate like Fomapan), so a TAPE splicer should be used.

[Smile]

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I found that out recently about Kodachrome, luckily before I purchased some off ebay! Good thing I did my homework first, otherwise that would have been disappointing, and a waste of money.

That's on my list, processing.. I have no idea where, or how much that's going to cost.. I think there is somewhere in Germany & the UK, but I really have to look into it.

Where do you all get your films processed? How much can I expect to pay for 1x8mm film, and how much does price vary on B&W & colour, if any?? Do places offer discounts on more than one film??

Goodnight from Switzerland! Zzzz

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2018 04:57 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in fact the Kodachrome on eBay and its development currently only possible in black and white are not ideal for start filming. Taking also into account that they are always expired films, which therefore require a different opening of the iris and an unpredictable quality result.

But Kodak should give us the new Ektachrome, as the other friends said, hopefully soon! [Smile]

The sites indicated, main Europeans (but there are others in Europe and in the world):
www.super8.nl
www.andecfilm.de
www.wittner-cinetec.com
And the English: www.gaugefilm.co.uk
also provide development service, with prices visible on their sites.
The total cost varies from the type of emulsion, from VAT of Country, and also to shipping costs.
Labs offer film+development included, which I think is the best solution.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 20, 2018 05:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if the eagerly awaited Ektachrome will be available in standard/double 8, the film gauge which Eve will be using.
https://www.kodak.com/corp/press_center/kodak_brings_back_a_classic_with_ektachrome_film/default.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2018 06:48 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, Maurice, the Kodak did not talk about Double 8.
Too bad, I would like to use also in D8 and in 16mm.
For now, let's be content with what comes...

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2018 04:21 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak does intend to make the new Ektachrome in 16mm so Wittner will probably perforate it for Double 8mm like they do other stocks.

I have my film processed at Dwayne's in Kansas, it costs me $12 plus $5 shipping for a 25 foot roll. The shipping out of the country is expensive. Spectra Film in California also process both Super 8 and 8mm. If there's an option in Europe that would be more practical. There must be someplace in Germany that does it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 20, 2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Kodachrome is re-manufactured and is available in 16 mm, that's good new for 9,5. It means there would be fresh colour stock in this gauge again. However, the cost (16 mm film + reperforation + shipping costs at each stage) would of course refrain many enthusiasts. If only there could be à 35 mm unperfored version in the Kodak catalogue...

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 20, 2018 06:33 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's hope Kodak will market it at $15-20, the last price for 100D in 2013.

Anything above $25 will refrain shooters to buy especially after this long vacuum period.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2018 07:44 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, there are also private who have machines to for cut in Double 8. If there is 16mm disponibility it's excellent thing.

Dom, a 100D cut in 9.5mm would be a dream, the costs could be sustainable with group of orders, maybe through the Spanish club that you know.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 20, 2018 08:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a 100D cut in 9.5mm would be a dream, the costs could be sustainable with group of orders, maybe through the Spanish club that you know.
But cutting 16mm to 9.5mm would be very expensive, wouldn't be? The left over 6.5mm will be wasted, right? This means we pay 16mm price + cutting cost for an inferior result than 16mm [Eek!]

Or did I get something wrong here?

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 21, 2018 02:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The result is not inferior since the picture size is roughly the same between 9,5 and 16 mm (due to the fact that the perforation is central on 9.5 stock). But at the end, it's of course more expensive. 9.5 is cheaper than 16 mm when reperfored from 35 mm (unperfored ) stock as you get three 9.5 strips (vs two in 16 mm). Reporforing 16 to 9.5 would only be a "passionate thing" (but like shooting on film in general in this digital era...)

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2018 03:53 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I believe that for some later 9.5 releases Walton just reperforated and trimmer their 16mm silent prints.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Undoubtedly better to get 9.5mm from 35mm, of course.
From 16mm is an extreme solution, just to be able to use that format of great historical importance. A "passionate thing", right.

Somewhere we talk about a chance to have the new Ekta in 35mm or it's impossible?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 22, 2018 07:22 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, the informations are not easy to get. I was told that Kodak would manufacture directly super 8 stock and not from 35mm. That's possible as there is a lost starting from 35 mm. but then what about 16 mm ?

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 22, 2018 11:08 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wittner has announced that their current new batch of 200 asa colour film will be the last one. Once it's sold out, it will not be available again. This film is, in my opinion, far to be the best one but at least it existed. May Kodak come quickly with some good news.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC