8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Colour film!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Colour film!!
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 10:09 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Chrome 200D; its massive grain was good for experimental films.
Many users hate it, but it's a pity that it's no longer sold.
We remain without invertible in color, at this point.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2018 11:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, it's still on sale but when the existing stock is sold out, there will be no new film made. Here is what Wittner says :

"5 years ago we have started selling our Wittner Chrome 200D products, just months after Kodak discontinued
the Ektachrome 100D. How ironic that now, five years later, we have to discontinue our own product,
since the raw stock Agfa RSX-II 200 is depleted.
Last Orders Please!
For Super 8, Double 8 and 16mm, the following applies:
The last production run is completed - delivery will continue until stock depleted!
Nevertheless, we are very proud having ensured the continuous worldwide supply of the color reversal market
during the past 5 years. For most lab operators, this made it possible to keep the E6 lines open, what otherwise
would not have been the case.
In addition to the Cinefilm market, we also supplied many industrial customers with a broad variety of
Wittner Chrome 200D specialty products. The total quantities of all custom-made specialty products are in the
seven-digit range. The Wittner Chrome 200D products are the most successful color reversal products of our
companies history. No other material of this kind was ever sold almost that often. Not even the legendary K40!
Finally, we would like to thank our excellent distributors worldwide, without whose energetic support and help
this phenomenal success would not have been achievable. A lot of information was provided by our reseller
network after the demise of the Ektachrome and the customer base was supported with our Wittner Chrome
200D products as a viable solution.
The success became visible by regular reordering in considerable quantities. 50, 100, 200, 500, up to 800
cartridges were shipped into the world on a frequent basis. Lot sizes that we first had to adjust to in production.
After a bumpy start in March 2013 we got the production capacity right by mid of the year. The following
5 years we were able to supply (with brief interruptions, triggered by bulk orders) almost continuosly - until now.
Are we sad it's over now?
No. It was a very successful and interesting but also turbulent and exhausting time for us. After this 5-year
manufacturing marathon the whole team is looking forward to some rest and variety. The released time
and energy can be used for other projects.
We are very pleased that we have left a remarkable footprint in all areas of color reversal film application
and that we were able to ensure filmmakers all over the world to use color reversal film during the past 5 years.
You could not have planned or wished it better. 5 years were the perfect time span, a perfect fit.
Not possible to do better."

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 07:13 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sound proud of themselves. And they are not sad that it is over...they can move on. I'm sad it's over. Film production that is.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 07:46 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dom, I received the email on the newsletter.
I'm sorry, in the end it was a good emulsion, an historical color emulusion.
Now I'm a shortage of money, but I think I'll buy a couple of reels, I'll have it in time.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 02:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, all we can hope is that Kodak brings soon a quality stock at a reasonable price on the market. Or Ferrania..."one day".

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2018 05:24 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now Ferrania I tend to forget it ... :

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My B&W Fomapan film arrived from the States today.. but the postman wanted 22.50chf upon delivery! I had no cash, nor time to go & collect them (ordered 5) today :-( I REALLY need to figure out a cheaper way to get my hands on film in future...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 27, 2018 03:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ordering from the States is always a risk regarding import taxes. It's like a lottery, sometimes you pay nothing, sometimes you don't escape it.

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Norton
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2018 06:35 AM      Profile for Mark Norton   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently used retro8 enterprises Japan. His 40ft Fuji Provia 100D colour cine film works out at around £28 per super 8 cartridge (Non process paid) Minimum order is 5 cartridges & very fast delivery too!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 28, 2018 06:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I think this company sadly does not provide double 8 filmstock, which is what Eve is looking for.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2018 08:09 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I subscribe what Dom says, it's a lottery.
Eve, you should buy Fomapan R100 Double 8 in Europe. Even if the film arrives at you in Switzerland, outside the EU, and the problem of extra taxes maybe could come back (I can't say precisely how Switzerland is now placed with the transit of goods, but, few yeas ago, I paid the customs duties for a package from Switzerland to Italy).
In Europe there are many shops who sell and develop Fomapan Double 8, I don't want to advertise any particular laboratory, but Fomapan itself has its own e-shop.
In Italy, I also use a store that buys and sells this emulsion.
With search with Google with "Fomapan R100 Double 8" words you have many shop, also in Europe.
But for other doubts, we are here. [Smile]

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys :-) I don't know what I'd do without this 8mm Forum!

Oh where is the best place to store it?? No space in the fridge or freezer.. but we will be getting electricity in the basement in a couple of months, where we will have a big freezer, & making it into a bit of a hobby room too (my husband's hobby is building drones-since I bought him one as a surprise for Christmas!)..

How should I store my unused films, and used??

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 29, 2018 05:39 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a cool place. Don't wait too long to have your films process as an exposed film (especially colour stock) will hold less well than an unexposed one.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 31, 2018 02:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wittner's 200 D colour film is no longer available in super 8 cartridges.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2018 04:34 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do have to store an exposed film before processing keep it in a metal cased fridge, well wrapped. Heat and even very low level background radiation are what cause loss of image.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC