8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question re: BAIA Super 8 "Reviewer" editor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question re: BAIA Super 8 "Reviewer" editor
Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling I'm going to be embarrassed by some simple fix that I'm just missing, but I can't seem to figure out how to solve this problem: the viewer shows the film upside-down! I have the full reel on the left, traveling to the right, and it shows upside down in the monitor. There must be an adjustment, no?
As always, thank you!
Gary

I can post a photo if need be.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 12:27 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could the film be on the reel backwards?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 01:38 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not unique to this particular reel --- I've tried several different films!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2018 01:48 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to mount the reels on one of these flipped.

Let's think "projection" here for points of reference. Lets say we are starting with one full reel and a second empty one.

Just like when you show a film, you have a supply reel and the take-up reel. There are two spindles: one with a gear train between the handle and the spindle and one without. The supply reel should go on the geared one, flipped so the sprocket holes are on the same side of the gate as the sprocket teeth that mesh with them. The empty "take-up" should go on the spindle without gears.

If I remember my own Baia correctly (It went wherever dead editors go about 16 years ago...) this calls for the film to enter/exit the reels on the bottom side.

If I don't remember correctly, it might explain why I have to look for my car keys all too often!

If the film is coming off the top sides and flipped between the spindles to make it mesh with the sprockets, your image has to be upside-down.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 02:12 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried feeding off the top, feeding off the bottom, reversing and no matter what I do the image is still upside down, and I just realized by reading the text, backward. I suspect maybe there is a mirror that needs to be reversed? There is a small cover over the gate (it says "lift") and there's the gear with the teeth and a mirror contraption that can move up and down but doesn't seem to be able to be taken out or reversed. For editing purposes, I suppose seeing the image upside down still helps, but it's bizarre and certainly frustrating.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2018 02:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gary,

If writing in the image is mirror image that either means the film is flipped in the gate or you've gained or lost a mirror in there some place. (-"lost" I could almost see!)

What if you take a short scrap of film and place it in the gate and flip it unless the image is right side up?

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 02:26 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this help at all:
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2018 02:33 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe!

Are the sprocket holes mated to the sprocket teeth? (When you move the film do you get shutter action?)

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 02:36 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the film moves like it should - just upside down and reversed!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Let's try this:

Grab the red reel in your right hand and the white reel in your left, now trade reels between your hands such that the sprocket holes are still on the same side of the film.

Remount with the red reel on your left and the white reel on your right, with the film going between the tops of the reels.

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 02:45 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that did it !!!!! --- but unless I can mechanically change something it'd mean winding the film on the take-up reel, then switching reels on the arms (the viewer's, not mine) and running the film. Yikes.

Wait - by running the film now from right to left, I see that the cars are going forward. Maybe this is an Israeli viewer???? [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2018 02:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what Henry Higgins said!: (well..."sang")

"Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning,
The Hebrews learn it backwards, which is absolutely frightening!"

We have dodged a bullet here, Gary!

If it was still upside down my potential Nobel Prize in Optics would mean you'd have to bring it to CineSea so we could go over it live!

(You can still come!)

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 02:56 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually played Alfred P. Doolittle at my theater a few years back. And I'm hoping to get to Cinesea this year! Thanks for the help!!!!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 22, 2018 03:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome!

What's funny about this is years ago when I got a new editor, I'm pretty sure there was a switch from bottom side feed to top side between the old and the new.

-I seem to recall having the same problem...

I like top side feed better anyway: it gives you a stretch of film out in the open, away from the machinery: easier for things like inspection and cleaning.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC