8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Packing Tape for splices

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Packing Tape for splices
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 11, 2018 05:33 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is packing tape the same kind of tape as splicing tape? Wondering if I could cut the tape to the correct dimensions and puch sprocket holes into it using my splicer.

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 02:26 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been there,done that.
In short - it won't work.

OK,some would be passable as a "temporary" splice,some would be pretty close to genuine splicing tape. But will leave some residual gummy mess when peeled off. The rest (and most) of them will ooze,stretch,gummed up when running tru the projector causing some breakage then.

So if you're making less than,say 50-100 splices a year,a roll of splicing tape wouldn't break the bank/your pocket anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 03:12 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never ever.
packing tape (assuming we're talking the same tape) contains a really horrible solvent substance capable of melting plastic.

Packing tape, the work of the devil.

or do you mean Sellotape? either way, no, never, don't do it...

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 03:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is such a false economy to make, and can ruin a film once the sticky tape glue ingresses the film emulsion - let alone when it stretches and snaps (it will) during future projection.

Splash out on the real stuff Brad, if you have a CIR or similar splicer, for about £5 maximum per roll you can make hundreds of splices with it.

Kevin

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 04:48 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this from years ago when I dabbled with audio tape. The problem is with the adhesive used for packing tape, Sellotape and the like. This can spread out from under the tape with dire results for sound heads. Always use products specifically made for joining film.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 10:58 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. Won’t do it. Definitely not worth the risk

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 06:41 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. IF and ONLY if you use 3M heavy duty, you have a product that is extremely close to 35mm theatrical splicing tape, such as would be used for plattering a print. I've yet to find the adhesive migrating. 3M typically makes the world's best adhesives, and I wouldn't trust any other brand. On the other hand, I never use this for permanent splices; yet, I'll put stuff together for months at a time and have no problem either running the stuff, nor pulling it apart when I'm done. Because the adhesive is slightly thicker and softer than typical splice tape, sometimes it will leave some behind when removed, but this is easily pulled off by pecking it with tape, or using film cleaner.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC