8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Second audio track on super8 film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Second audio track on super8 film?
Gregory Oliver
Junior

- posted May 28, 2018 12:40 PM      Profile for Gregory Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across a super8 film with the normal magnetic stripe opposite the perforated edge, but it looks like there is a thinner stripe along the edge with the perfs. Is this a secondary audio track?
It's the first one I have ever seen.

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2018 01:10 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gregory,

That is the balance stripe. Originally used to balance out the weight of the main stripe so that the film remains flat when going through the gate of the camera/projector, the balance stripe has often been used as an additional channel for stereo playback. It really is amazing how good the audio quality can be from that 0.45mm tape.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Gregory Oliver
Junior

- posted May 29, 2018 06:42 AM      Profile for Gregory Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doug.
I wonder what make/model projector would have dual audio heads?
Gregory

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 06:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gregory, there are lot of machines out there able to play both mag tracks. Projectors manufactured by Elmo, Eumig, Bauer, Beaulieu, Yelco... They are generally identified as "duoplay" or "dual track" or "twin track".

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 08:47 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or „Stereo“!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and the neat thing about having two tracks to work with, is that you can have "dual languages, (especially if the original source track was mono to begin with), or, if you are even more adventurous, you can record an "audio commentary on the balance track onto you're films!

A dual language super 8, if it's a popular film, can make it even more marketable in the future. I bought a L.P.P. print of "The Adventures of Robin Hood", thought it was english (well, I bought it from a U.S. bloke off ebay) and found the main stripe to be German, (didn't state that in auction) ...

... but thankfully, the balance stripe was still english, (with no "bleed" friom the german soundtrack), so, yay!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 29, 2018 07:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recorded the DVD special features commentary onto the track 2 stripe of my Derann print of Shane. Works very well, and I think it adds value to the film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC