8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Avengers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avengers
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all - I always thought there had only been three episodes of the original BBC Avengers series released by Derann (The Living Dead, Return of the Cybernauts, and The Positive - Negative Man.) Having collected all three, I thought I had them all... BUT I just received a Derann catalogue from 1979-80n and it lists a fourth episode available on super 8mm, From Venus With Love. Does anyone have any knowledge if this episode was actually released? Would love to track a print down if indeed it does exist. But from experience, I know Derann sometimes listed things in their catalogues that never saw the light of day. Thanks in advance for any additional info.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 05:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From this Russian website dedicated for Avengers fans, it says:

quote:
Компания "Derann Film Services" также планировала к выпуску эпизод От Венеры слюбовью (From Venus With Love) 5 сезона, но это так никогда и не увидело свет.
which means:

quote:
The company "Derann Film Services" also planned to release the episode From Venus With Love season 5, but it never saw the light.
https://steedumbrella.ru/Super8_UK.html

So may be that the answer, Brian.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 11:28 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian,

They actually had the rights to 2 more episodes than the 3 released, the trouble was finding good enough pre-print material. You'd have thought that with the series being less than 10 years old (then when first released!) it would be easy getting decent material to work from, but alas it proved nearly impossible, so the titles were abandonded.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2018 02:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 400ft cutdown I ave of "The Living Dead" is not very good in colour or contrast (on Agfa so not due to fade), indicating they couldn't get high quality pre-print material for the ones they did release.

This seems to have been a problem for other companies too I remember the review for Walton's extracts of "Monty Python & the Holy Grail" saying that for such a recent film it should have been higher quality as far as colour, grain and contrast.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 05:03 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Living Dead" is on offer on eBay at £10 for the three parts issued by Derann. The scenes from the film shown aren't screenshots though and the film's rather red.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Avengers-The-Living-Dead-3-X-Reels-Super-8mm-Feature/263798064526?hash=item3d6b97058e:g:DHwAAOSwsh5bOlCf

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 06, 2018 09:32 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once briefly had another Super 8 Avengers episode with optical sound, but unfortunately the sound was out of sync.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC