8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 8mm CIR Splicer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm CIR Splicer
Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2018 06:31 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys, Does any one know if a CIR super 8mm splicer covers both magnetic sound tracks or just the frame area. Thanks in advance.
Clive

|  IP: Logged

Harley Jones
Junior

- posted July 21, 2018 06:47 AM      Profile for Harley Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Harley Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cir super 8 splicer relieves the mag striped track. In other words, the splicing tape wraps around the splice but does not cover the actual magnetic track area. Hope this helps.
Regards from sunny Cardiff.

Harley
www.cinenostalgia.co.uk

--------------------
Harley
www.cinenostalgia.co.uk

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2018 07:59 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more professional model (“M3 SPECIAL) does cover the stripe. This looks like the bigger 16mm Ciro and is very hard to find for super 8.

Get one of these, and it will be the only splicer you will ever use. Yep. It’s THAT good!

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2018 09:18 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Harley and Chip

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2018 09:27 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I don’t worry about splicing tape covering the track because think about it: most splices even when the most care is taken to prevent frame and audio loss there will always be some kind of a very brief glitch.

I don’t do recordings but it doesn’t bother me a bit.

At 24FPS a splice is how long of time to be concerned with?

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2018 07:50 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Cir Regular 8 version and it does not cover the magnetic strip, even the Super 8 (little type) version should be like that; but the Super 8 film, as mentioned, can also have the balance stripe, which should be covered with the Cir.
However, there is one splicer, Fujica 2-Track Sound Splicer, that I have, with a great method leaves both strips uncovered.

However, I agree with Chip: the splices are almost always a problem with the sound, making it inaudible is almost impossible. I've heard only about joints made with the Hammann or Zeiss splicers (with their special way of cutting the Super 8) that can solve the problem, but I have not personally seen it myself.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC