8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Unidentified super 8 film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unidentified super 8 film
Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2018 09:37 AM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all!

I have received among some other films a super 8 film, it starts without titles and i don't know it. I would like to know the title and distributor from this film.. Does someone recognize it? Duration about 9 minutes in super 8.

Thanks! Nick.

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Charles Foyle
Junior

- posted September 08, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Charles Foyle   Email Charles Foyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your film is The Picnic Panic by Ub Iwerks--a Comicolor Cartoon from the Rainbow Parade series.

It was made in 1935. That coffeepot character is famous today as "Elder Kettle" from the hand-animated, infamously difficult videogame Cuphead released in 2017.

Interesting find! I always liked Iwerks' style.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2018 03:19 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not an Iwerks Comicolor.It is a Van Beuren "Rainbow Parade" in Technicolor,directed by Burt Gillett and Tom Palmer.Issued by Geluid/Kleur Tekenfilm,a company from Hollandfrom Holland that issued many rare cartoons in exellent copies and with horribly bad box covers.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 08, 2018 03:29 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The title is "A Picnic Panic".
Click below to view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24i689oWkjY

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 08, 2018 04:24 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis, from what I remember from my Dutch lessons, geluid means sound, kleur means colour and tekenfilm means cartoon.

--------------------
Dominique

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2018 11:07 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -
Dear Dom,(and the others!) [Eek!] Please,forgive my ignorance.This company does not print a logo and ,I repeat,has the ugliest and most horrific box art.The specific cartoon's dutch title,which I blackened,is PICK NICK!

Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2018 05:25 AM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Panayotis,

Do you happen to know whether this Holland company issued any more cartoons from the Rainbow Parade series? I have a mute
unstriped print of THE PICNIC PANIC and a sound print of PARROTVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT. Wondering whether there were any others released?

I also have a Columbia cartoon (SWING MONKEY SWING) and 2 Terrytoons (PICNIC WITH PAPA and JAMES HOUND) that I believe are Dutch in origin.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2018 07:13 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love how they mix real footage with cartoon!
Here is a list of the van beuren cartoons!

https://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Other_Studios/V/Van_Beuren_Studios/Rainbow_Parade/

Nice little film to own!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2018 12:56 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iman-I don't know of other "Rainbow Parade" cartoons from Holland. I wish I did! "Neptune's Nonsence", "Molly Moo Cow and the Indians" and "Toonerville Trolley" were available from Blackhawk. The company may have been Top Film,which was the successor of Real Film but I am not sure. Let's hope somebody will unearth a catalogue.

Nick Vermeirsch
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2018 07:06 AM      Profile for Nick Vermeirsch   Email Nick Vermeirsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to all!
Thanks for all your help, you are wonderful. I have seen, on the "film market" in Holland, several times the underneath boxes (one which i own), also with the typical "artwork" on it, these are 120 meter reels with each times 3 cartoons on it (for i know). The "Picnic Panic" one was the third of such reel, with two other German cartoons (Dick und Doof cartoon (Larry Harmon)) and Lucky Luke in excellent colour and sound.

-

-

Each "cartoon film reel" has a title, mine ("the rice of hen") has nothing to do with the content of the cartoons anyway [Wink]

The other box of TOP FILM that i have is a documentary film of Hawaïan sports (Carl Dudley, 1951), also with excellent colour, and - rather rare here in Belgium (and the Netherlands): bilangue subtitles: Dutch and French (in our cinemas here in Belgium, it it still the case for a lot of movies).

-

-

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC