8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 to digital: variable speed projector best?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 to digital: variable speed projector best?
Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2018 03:25 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks,

I'm nearing the end of converting my collection of family Super 8mm films to digital via my Wolverine Prog converter, and I may have much more to do from my family. Frankly, I'm a bit underwhelmed with the Wolverine Pro's quality: I don't think it's much better than my original Wolverine, though the converted speed of the video is much closer to the original filmed speed.

So - I'm seriously contemplating buying a decent projector and re-recording the films via a Sima Copykit and my Sony HDR SR12 camcorder. The projector that a friend had given to me (Argus 838) looks too basic to handle my family films.

At first, I was considering buying a decent Eumig 820 Sonomatic projector, a reasonably priced machine with a good rep for reliability and ease of use. But, after reading lots of threads (over and over) regarding projectors and using them for digital transfer, the opinion appears to be that a variable speed projector is the way to go to avoid potential video syncing problems.

I've noted the Sankyo Dualux 2000H Super 8 projector has quite a few fans for the purpose that I need, and it has a variable speed. The Sankyo 800 would also be nice to have because of it's sound capabilities (if I decided to plays ome movies with sound), but it's a lot harder (and probably more expensive) to find.

My questions for the forum:

Am I on the right track for a Super 8 to digital conversion plan? Is the Sankyo projector a good machine for my purposes?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2018 03:32 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev
The Sankyo dual machine will be fine as it does have variable speed,the Sankyo 800 is a stereo machine but doesn't have variable speed,also if you have the ability to slow the shutter speed down on the camcorder then this will get rid of flicker,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2018 04:12 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sankyo Dualux 2000H is a very good choice. It is a dual gauge machine with variable speed, slow motion and still frame. Unlike the Sankyo Dualux 1000, it uses the much cheaper and readily available 12v 100w EFP lamp.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2018 11:27 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh,replace that Sima Copykit with something more decent. A big letdown in the chain. [Frown]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nantawat Kittiwarakul,

Regarding your comment about the Copykit and replacing it with something else…..

What would that be?

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2018 12:30 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,

This is in French language but assume that can give you some ideas for what is possible :

French Site

You can find this link (among many others) :

Xfer Method

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2018 08:25 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or if you want to go to some extreme... [Razz]

-

My experimental setup I'm currently messing around with. Pretty HARD to do certain adjustments,but the result seems very,vrey promising. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2018 08:48 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

Beautiful! I love the setup!

Let us know how it works out....

Then explain exactly what you have there - it looks like a photo shop exploded! [Big Grin]

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coincidentally,just found out that what I did is more or less the same (in principle) as this guy in this video - projecting the image directly into the camera's sensor. [Razz]

https://youtu.be/1QTzvnIdh58

The result? better than I expected!

These 2 images are from negative film,still didn't nail down the color balance right.
 -

-

The reversal film looks much better IMHO,even without any color correction.
 -

Lots of room for improvement,more results in the future (if I didn't give it up beforehand [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

I'm interested in looking at the info on the French website, but, even though much of the site instructions are in English, I don't see any way to convert the text to English.

Any ideas?

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2018 04:51 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Goggle Chrome for my web browser. It offers to translate web pages in other languages to English.

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2018 06:55 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, thanks, but I'll look for a similar solution elsewhere.

I stopped using anything to do with Google (except YouTube, hard to avoid) in 1998.

Saw it coming from that outfit long, long, long ago...…

UPDATE:

I downloaded Microsoft Translator & installed it into the Edge browser.

It does a respectable job of translation!

Thanks for the idea!

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2018 07:46 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks,

Thought I'd wrap up this thread by saying that I recently bought a NICE Sankyo Dualux 2000H projector.... works perfectly.... all accessories and with a 60 day warranty and three extra bulbs.

I've run some 'test' film (a 300 ft reel of what looks like Nepal during the '70s) through it to learn how this projector works, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Now, to tinker with using it and my Sony camcorder to see what I can do with that.

Thanks to all for the advice and guidance!

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2018 08:22 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a little but highly reliable machine,rarely have any trouble with. Moreover it's a perfect machine for telecine work. You'll never let down by this little wonder. [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2018 09:40 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Sankyo 1000 and 2000. They are very nice little projectors. Right now I am using the 1000 at my rewind bench to preview 200' silents as I clean film. They are very gentle on film. This projector uses he expensive spaceman bulb but I have a few spares so I am using them up. After they are gone I may do a bulb conversion on this projector to keep it going. I think you will be very happy with your new 2000. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC