8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Processing 8mm Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Processing 8mm Film
Gary Schreffler
Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2018 08:46 PM      Profile for Gary Schreffler   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Schreffler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, mea culpa if this exists elsewhere. I came across some 8mm films that were shot in the early 1980's, but never processed/developed. Does anyone still develop 8mm films?

--------------------
My God; It's Full Of Stars!

|  IP: Logged

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2018 09:24 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gary!

Yes, there are a number of places that can develop for you. However, that also depends on the kind of film stock and process that it needs. What kind of film stock is it?

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Gary Schreffler
Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2018 11:04 AM      Profile for Gary Schreffler   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Schreffler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan,

Sorry for the delay in answering!! It is Kodak type G Ektachrome 160 movie film.

That is exactly as printed on the film cassette.

--------------------

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2018 01:01 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary,

Unfortunately the process for which the Type G ektachrome needs to be developed is not common anymore. There will be a limited amount of places that will develop it for you, and even that may be cross processed, and you may need to have it scanned to view it properly in case its developed as a negative. A quick search brought me to rocky Mountain Film Lab, but it looks like the cost is nearly $50 per roll before scanning!

Pro 8mm will do it, but they will process it as b&w, and include scanning at a price of $115 per roll. There may be a few other places out there, I suggest you make some google searches and place some calls to make sure they will do it, and verify the price!

It can be done, but it won't be cheap.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2018 09:50 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, if you choose to go with one of those options, I'd encourage you to send only one roll and cold store the others. There's a strong possibility no image can be recovered after all these years, but you won't know until you try!

Gary Schreffler
Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2018 06:26 PM      Profile for Gary Schreffler   Author's Homepage   Email Gary Schreffler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evan, thanks for the info. I have been Googling, calling, etc. down to the same you mentioned at $45.

Bill, my plan exactly. Thanks.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC