8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 2000H Projector!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 2000H Projector!
Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2018 09:00 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few days ago I decided to purchase a Sanyko Dualux 2000H. I've read great reviews on this machine so decided to check it out for myself. I'm still waiting for it to arrive some time this week. In the mean time I wanted to get others impressions about the quality of the 1.4 projection lens. I currently use an Elmo FP series machine with a bolex hi-fi fitted into the projection barrel. How will the Sanyko lens compared to the hi-fi lens I'm currently using on the Elmo? Also my Elmo uses a 150W bulb so I'm sure I'll notice a decrease in light overall. The main reason I purchased this was to have a dedicated dual format projector that was also sprocketless.

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

|  IP: Logged

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2018 04:54 PM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane,

I bought a nice Sankyo 2000H about a month ago. I can say that, from my rookie experience with projectors, it lives up to it's reputation. Very solid machine.

As for it's 1.4 projection lens… it is good for my purposes, though I've read about several forum members switching their projector lens (in projectors of other brands) to a quality 1.1 unit, and they were pleased with the projected image. I don't know if that's a possibility with our 2000H projectors - I'm sure you'll receive some feedback from the more knowledgeable members shortly!

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2018 08:41 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev, the machine came in today and works like a charm. Honestly I don't think this projector was used more than a few times as it looks brand new. It even still had a plastic protective wrap over the logo on the lamp housing cover. However that being said I've been pretty spoiled by the Bolex hi-fi prime lens and the 150 watt bulb in the Elmo FP8-C. I compared the two while projecting my first roll of Kodak's new Ektachrome 100D. The Elmo gives more clarity and brightness across the entire frame, complements of the Bolex lens of course. By the way if anyone is interested the new Ektachrome is absolutely beautiful film. The grain is very fine and the colors are fantastic! Kodak did a splendid job with this new emulsion. OK so back to the projectors. I can honestly say the Sanyko is a fine machine and did a nice job projecting the film, but the Elmo's set up wins in the end. My initial reason for buying the Sanyko was because it was a sprocketless machine. Although the Elmo has never eaten a film and has been very gentle and reliable. I guess a sprocket design, if well maintain, is still the best way to go.

[ November 07, 2018, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2018 02:44 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sankyo's lens seems to be the only weak point in it. [Roll Eyes]

Once had an Elmp FP-A dual projector. It is the only projector I ever had that really have bright(due to its 21v 150w lamp) and pin sharp corner-to-corner picture. My other projector (Yelco,seems to be rebranded Sankyo) seems pretty blurry compared to Elmo,never managed to get sharp corners at any zoom/distance.

PS plot twist: I eventually sold Elmo,the lamp is harder to find&its mechanical seems overly complicated. So the simpler sprocketless Yelco stays.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2018 09:04 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo FP8-C Dual that I use has the newer EJM 150W lamp. I guess the later models came this way starting in the late 60's would be my guess. I agree other than the 1.4 lens the Sanyko is a nice unit. I've just been spoiled by the Bolex 1.3 prime lens I am able to use on the Elmo. The barrel on the Bolex is the same diameter as the original Elmo lens. That appears to be the weak link on the Elmo FP series. The lenses seem to fog over a bit after all these years. However if someone can locate a Bolex 1.3 from the earlier Standard 8 machines it's a nice upgrade. I also agree that the Elmo provides a clear picture edge to edge. I have several other projectors and this is the only one that gives the best picture. The pressure plate on the Elmo also appears to hold the film in place from edge to edge which is important for good focusing. The FP Series is under rated to some degree. The machines are definitely well constructed and solid. An older design but simple to use overall.

--------------------

Kev Morrison
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2018 07:03 AM      Profile for Kev Morrison   Email Kev Morrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the Sankyo 2000H....

If anyone is looking for one of these projectors, I just spotted this on eBay - 30 day return policy? Not bad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264044224890?ul_noapp=true

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2018 03:56 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last Sankyo 2000H I bought was boxed with all the accessories including a manual and had had very little use. I bought it on UK eBay for just £35 ($45) including shipping. I'd bought one previously (working projector only) for the same figure. The Sankyo 1000 often sells for similar money despite the 2000H being a superior machine.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC