8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Changing Replacing GS-1200 Xenon Lamp

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing Replacing GS-1200 Xenon Lamp
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2018 11:05 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK this is the first time I am having to do this so was looking for some sort of step by step, and oddly can't find one anywhere. Even the instruction manual states "Contact your nearest Elmo distributor. Do Not Replace the Lamp by Yourself." Since that is no longer an option can one of the Xenon folks on here list a step by step of best practice to change the xenon lamp on the Elmo GS-1200?

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 19, 2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know much about this Dino, except to say that you need to protect yourself against the possibility of the lamp exploding, so a face protection shield is probably essential.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am used to changing Xenon lamps on 35mm machines, but not on a small one like this where it looks like you might have to take parts off the machine to actually change it out...I just don't want to accidentally unscrew the wrong thing and make the lamp placement that much more difficult.

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2018 02:30 AM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dino,

I emailed you a PDF document that may help provide some guidance. Let me know if it helps.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2018 02:20 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All good to go now, Thanks Jason....Gonna cut together a little video about positioning the lamp since you can't get the Elmo tool anymore.

--------------------

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I look forward to seeing the video!

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2019 12:16 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I would update here with the video I made showing how to adjust the lamp (once you change it) on the Xenon GS-1200 - It sounded scary on paper, but hopefully you will see how relatively easy it is to do in the video...

ELMO GS-1200 Xenon Lamp Adjustment Video

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 03, 2019 02:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino
Would you say that the installing of a new lamp would upset any previous adjustment of the three rear screws?
It seems a tremendous amount of work to eventually get to the rear screws. No wonder the Instruction Book says for lamp changing to be done by contacting your nearest Elmo distributor!

--------------------
Maurice

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2019 10:04 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, In theory yes you can replace the lamp without touching the 3 screws, but anytime you fiddle a bit with the lamp there is the chance of a slight move since you basically need to remove the reflector and holder to put in the new lamp. I just figure better to know how to do something should you need it...

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 03, 2019 11:25 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino

Thanks for clearing up the matter. I didn't realise that the reflector and holder need removing whilst installing a new lamp. What a crazy requirement.

I haven't got a projector here with a xenon lamp but worked with them for many years in 35mm cinemas. I never changed a lamp as that was the chief projectionists job, but I certainly knew how to should the occasion arise.

The replacement was quite simple, the lamp holder held the negative end and an insulated flying lead was attached to the positive end. The reflector stayed in situ and was adjusted by easily reached three knurled knobs.

Elmo must have had very little room for a xenon lamp as I assume the xenon GS-1200 had the same sized body as the normal model.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC