8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Where to buy filmguard in the UK?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where to buy filmguard in the UK?
Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2019 07:27 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to transfer some of my grandad's super 8mm films using the wolverine pro. I am trying to find a small container of filmguard, but most places i can find with it do not ship to the UK, nor does the AMAZON store. Can anyone advise me or sell me some here? I would be very grateful!

Jacob

|  IP: Logged

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2019 02:40 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jacob,

I can spare some. I bought a large bottle several years ago, and a little goes a long way! I need to find a container to send it to you. Will do so tomorrow. Email me your address and I'll try to get it out by the end of the week.

Best,

- Rob

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2019 04:11 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob, apologies for jumping in on this post, but could I buy some from you please? Thank you Mark

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2019 01:00 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have sent rob a PM. Thanks a ton!

Jacob

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2019 04:01 PM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jacob,

You need hardly anything for your purpose. I will fill up one of these plastic containers that 35mm film for photo camera's used to come in. That will be ample and a safe way to send. I'll try to sort that out tomorrow and send it to you.

Mark, send me a pm with what your plans are. I don't mind moving on some of the stuff, but I am hoping that this is a life-long supply for me, so will share sparingly!

Best,

- Rob

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2019 06:36 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to the original post, where can you buy Filmguard in the UK?

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2019 07:00 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osborne of The Reel Image is not in Uk, but can ship to UK, is an official dealer of the Filmguard. [Smile]
https://thereelimage.jimdo.com/

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2019 12:42 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...yes Filmguard is the best solution I have come across. And I agree that it should not be contaminated by dispensing it in inappropriate containers. Better to have a new batch on hand, some may never need more.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 12, 2019 03:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that the only official UK supplier of FilmGuard, Jack Roe Cinema Supplies, is no longer stocking the product due to the change to digital cinema projection.
The only person who can help in this matter for UK users is one of our Moderators, Brad Miller.

--------------------
Maurice

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted January 12, 2019 09:06 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Foster used to sell in the UK. I don't know whether or not he still does.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 12, 2019 10:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Michael; there's no mention of it on his current site.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Has anyone tried this yet? It's being sold in the UK and looks a lot like FilmGuard

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2019 12:52 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who sells this?

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2019 02:09 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious, although I have a lot of Filmguard here.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 13, 2019 02:53 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have spent some time searching the internet but cannot find any reference to VistaClean as mentioned by Joe. And I'm in the UK!

--------------------
Maurice

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2019 12:31 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much rob!

Jacob

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2019 12:45 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, I saw that product advertised on a film Facebook group

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 14, 2019 02:59 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Joe.
That lets me out as I am not on Facebook.
Perhaps someone in the UK who is can find it.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2019 06:55 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With such little to go Maurice, it would easier finding lord Lucan, would need at least the film group name you saw it on Facebook to have a chance, I have looked, but there more people on there than on planet earth.........

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 15, 2019 09:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Foster has never been a FilmGuard dealer. It's possible he bought some from Jack Roe and resold it in it's factory packaging though. Doing that isn't a concern as long as the factory seal on the box is still in tact. It's the people who "rebottle" the product which are the problem. Some of them are legitimately trying to create smaller bottles for people who have hardly any need for a normal size bottle, and others are adding other "filler" chemicals to increase their profit margin. In either scenario though the containers used are usually of an unsuitable type of plastic which is just as much of a problem as those who are altering the chemical makeup to "make more" (sort of like people who add water to a bottle of shampoo running near empty to "make more").

VistaClean is yet another pathetic attempt by Eddie Smyth to scam you guys with another knockoff of FilmGuard.

Read here.

Why any of you would even remotely consider putting something on your film that has not been tested for many years is beyond me. You would be literally putting your films at risk (of which it's not like in this day and age you can just call up Derann and order another print).

Remember, some chemicals can take 10 years for the damage to appear! Why would anyone even consider taking such a risk???

To answer the seller's original question, we are currently working on setting up a dealer to service the UK and surrounding areas and another one in Australia to provide a reliable and LEGITIMATE source for real FilmGuard.

In the meantime, yes The Reel Image IS a legitimate dealer for FilmGuard and can export to the UK.

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2019 11:30 AM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above post, i heavily research ANYTHING that goes on my films. I would not use anything other than true 'filmguard' as it seems tried and tested. I take just as much care in storage as I do with the processing.

Not aside from being able to go to derann and get another print, for those who use film to log memories with, only have 1 projectable original and its not within my pockets to strike up internegs and make another positive print from those.

Problems such as base deterioration and dye fading are just some of the potential problems using a knockoff product, avoid. Especially in cases where most of my projection are my own movies (from the ages of 16 -> present day I have been doing super-8 for memories) and family footage that only has one single original you can project and that I don't want ruined.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC