8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to 8mm
Steve Pearce
Junior

- posted January 18, 2019 04:16 AM      Profile for Steve Pearce   Email Steve Pearce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all and thank you for allowing me to contribute.

I recently visited my parents and went through some old home VHS tapes that we needed to preserve onto DVD so brought a couple back with me (they live in France and I had limited space in my flight hand baggage) but left most along with quite a lot of old 8mm Cine film that my Grandfather made both at home and on his regular trips to California back in the early 70's. They are to send them on my tracked post.

I purchased a VHS to DVD recorder to do those tapes and my attention moved onto the 8mm Cine.

Having never had anything to do with Cine I started investigating and have ended up purchasing a Sankyo Dualux 1000 advertised as spares or repair as I like a challenge and tinkering with things.

It was advertised on eBay as ‘lamp works but spindles don't’ and having investigated I took the risk of it just needing a belt replaced so purchased one while I waited for delivery of the Sankyo. The Sankyo arrived yesterday and it looks as good as new, no scrapes, scratches or bumps and had it’s original box. I fired it up and sure enough the lamp worked and I could hear the motor running which was a bonus. Opening the back I was greeted by completely dust/muck free internals that still looked like it was made yesterday. There was a belt on it but it appeared to be a hard shiny red thing and having removed it, it was clear that someone had made it and glued the ends together creating a lump at the join! Fitted the new one and it ran perfectly.

I don't know why but I absolutely love it. I really like the whole mechanical interaction and the noise and I haven't even got a film to run on it yet. While they arrive I will purchase a Chaplin movie. I have already ordered a splicer and tapes.

Having read more about projectors I wish I had got an 'H' model now with the better lamp but I guess I would have missed out on this beauty. However, it looks like I have just got myself a new hobby!

I'm stabbing around in the dark with only the help of Youtube and this forum's posts and will bother Janice for a copy of the manual if she's able to but I do have an immediate question:

When running it without film (I don't have one yet) should it project a blank image on the wall? Mine doesn't and I looked through the lens and it looked blocked. Having read Janice's Vignetting post I set about removing the glass shield but having taken the plate that holds the glass I could see that it looks clear and as good as new. Behind that was a brass screen blocking the light to reach the lens. Is that right? Does that move aside once the film is loaded or has something become dislodged in transit?

Many thanks,
Steve [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2019 04:56 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and welcome, Steve. The Sankyo Dualux 1000 won't project a picture unless loaded with a film so yours is operating normally. Some general dealers on eBay don't realise this and offer them as faulty for spares/repair as was the case with one I picked up for very little money. They are lovely looking projectors and it is hard to believe that they are around 50 years old now. Their only downside is the 8v 50w lamp which is very expensive to replace now. The 1000H uses a much cheaper 12v 100w bulb but they're hard to find.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 18, 2019 05:28 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
If you want manuals on the projector you can get them from Oldtimer Cameras whom I thoroughly recommend.
https://www.camera-manual.com/model.php?modelid=11008

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Pearce
Junior

- posted January 18, 2019 06:11 AM      Profile for Steve Pearce   Email Steve Pearce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will, thank you that's great news. I know the bulbs are expensive but I've fallen for this particular Sankyo. I've read on here that it might be possible to convert it to an H but that's for another day. I'll enjoy it until this bulb pops.

I can't believe it's 50 years old. When I was in France we tried to get my grandfathers old projector going. I didn't pay much attention to the model (wish I had) but it was old metal cased and appeared to be chain driven inside. The mains cable looked a bit aged but we tenderly plugged it in and it worked but sluggishly. Undeterred we threaded a film and started it. It ran for a minute then snapped the film and burnt the remainder. We called it a day. It's a heavy old bus so I haven't asked them to send it over. I'll get it back here one day and will enjoy bringing it back to fully working glory.

Maurice thank you for the link. I have asked Janice but if she is unable I will get my wallet out!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 18, 2019 09:21 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers, Steve -= Any questions about shorts, look no further than...Shorty

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2019 06:06 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you would like to see a projected white screen with no film loaded, here's the trick. Hold down the threading button, and at the same time turn the machine on to the forward direction with lamp on. This will allow you to see a blank white screen, make sure the threading button is still pushed down. This works on my Sankyo 2000H. The 2000 model I have was manufactured in the early 80's but both models are similar. Of course the 2000H comes with a brighter 100 watt halogen bulb. If you can locate this model online, for a good price, it's well worth the upgrade. To project a brighter picture with the 1000 just make the distant between projector and screen smaller.
By the way welcome to the hobby! It can be quite addictive but in a good way of course! I've had many machines through the years. Now I'm down to using the Sankyo and my trusty Elmo FP8-C. I also have a Bolex dual 8 and a Eumig Mark S 810 D which I never use, and should probably sell to someone on here. Hint hint if anyone is looking for one.

[ January 18, 2019, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

Steve Pearce
Junior

- posted January 24, 2019 05:23 AM      Profile for Steve Pearce   Email Steve Pearce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Shane - it worked and I was able to see dust and hairs around the edges of the screen image. I again removed the glass screen panel but it was clear and spotless so having put it back together to confirm the fuzzy edging was still present I removed the lens and with a cotton bud wetted with isopropanol gently cleaned the framne whilst holding down the threading button. Seemed to do the trick.

Cine films have arrived today so I am looking forward to playing with it all over the weekend.

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2019 09:56 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve, I'm glad to hear this worked for you! I figured it was the same procedure with the 1000. Let us know how you make out projecting your new movies.

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

Jake Mayes
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2019 07:02 PM      Profile for Jake Mayes   Email Jake Mayes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing. If your film is in good nick, do not simply run it through a projector. Keep the projector clean, clean the gate and film path with iso alcohol. After a screening session, clean the projector again. It will help stop the film having railroad tracks and will keep it in as good a condition as possible. Test with a junker film.

If you are scanning the historical film, you are better off using a film scanner like the wolverine unless you want something of higher quality, though the projector is great to watch them with and fun to learn with, especially if you want to shoot your own 8mm or super 8.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC