8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo Lens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Lens
Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 04:34 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Forum Members, I am thinking about a second hand f1.0 lens for my GS1200, does any member have a rough idea what one might cost.
Regards, Clive

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 05:09 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to hop on sale wise etc.

I have a lovely Black 1.1 for £85, just out of interest.

Also a xenovaron 1.1 for £75 bauer fitting, or can be sleeved.

Amazing lens.

For the 1.0, I think you can go from around £125 and well on up.

They used to go for around the ton.

Some even ask around £300 for them.

But some are much better than others, so be careful. I`ve had a beauty, but also one you really couldn`t ever get to focus quite right.

Best Mark.

[ February 16, 2019, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 06:00 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, Thanks for the reply and the offer. I already have 1.1 lens, I'm looking at improving the picture. Do you know if a 1.0 lens a lot of difference.
Clive

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 06:25 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personnally cannot say I see a difference between a 1.0 and a 1.1 but maybe you can see it if you do a side by side comparison ? Except if you can find a good 1.0 at a reasonable price, I'm not sure it worths replacing your existing lens.

[ February 15, 2019, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 07:15 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dom

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 07:42 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i understand it, the 1:0 is a little brighter, (obviously), but the 1:1 can be sharper. I read this in old movie maker years ago.

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 08:41 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom, maybe I should look at putting a HID lamp in it.
Regards, Clive

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 09:08 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clive, I have both the f1.1 and the f1.0 Elmo lenses. The difference is like day and night. The f1.0 is much brighter, much sharper, and much better contrast than the f1.1. The f1.0 is an all glass lens system, no plastic lense's, it is also much heavier, you can tell it is very high quality. I paid $295.00 for mine years ago and have never regretted it. Get the f1.0 and you will never go back to the f1.1 [Smile]
Before you go to the considerable trouble and expense of installing an HID lamp I would go to a 2-blade shutter. This is a relatively simple conversion which you can probably do yourself, as I did. The 2-blade will give you 33% more light and is very noticeable, and combining that with the switch to an f1.0 lens will give you an overall increase of about 40%. IMO the 2-blade shutter plus the f1.0 lens is almost essential for showing scope films.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 09:31 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I will try again the two lenses and compare to see if my eyes are so bad [Wink]

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 09:38 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Dom it is quite possible that I happen to have a lower quality f1.1 lens and a top quality f1.0 lens.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 15, 2019 10:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be intersting to have other members' comments. Maybe sensations vary from one person to another.

--------------------
Dominique

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 11:19 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo F1.0 Hi Fi is a great lens! Ever sense I made a lens adapter I have been trying different lenses. And I'm getting close! To compare! My next one to try is the ISCO Hi Fi zoom lens. Made in Germany. A High Quality lens.F1.1 so we will see ?

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 11:51 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Osbourne carries 2 bladed shutters for the GS. Just bought some.

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2019 12:41 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,
My GS-1200 arrived fitted with a 1.1
Elmo lens. A respected forum member sold me a 1.0 ...It is both brighter, sharper.
I would add the Elmo 1.1 is an excellent lens but the 1.0 is better for beyond 6.5 meters of projection.You will find one.
Let us know Your opinion.

[ February 16, 2019, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 03:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clive. For what its worth I did carry out a test a few years back during a quiet spell back when projecting at a film festival.
The screen was 20ft wide I used the Elmo plus F1 then swapped back to the 1.1 measuring the projected image having my rewind guy holding a light meter centre screen. The approximate difference in performance was 25% better centre screen illumination with the F1. Widescreen Ctr used to sell cart loads of them to film makers wanting the ultimate projected image.

But its not all about light. The image clarity is better on the F1 particularly looking at a 20ft screen and to my eye the shadow detail looks better with it as well.

If you want a more economical solution I would highly recommend a Schneider lens and sleeve it into a old Elmo lens once stripped out. These lenses blow anything else out of the water and were the preferred choice back then.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 04:51 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, by F1, do you mean 1.0 ? I will anyway make another comparison "test" next week but from your message and from Burton's one I understand the difference is noticeable on a big screen. Paul did you have your experience also with a large screen or with a normal home sized one ?

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom my 4/3 screen width is 5ft wide and my scope screen width is about 10ft wide. With the particular Elmo lenses that I have, the f1.0 looks better in all respects on both screen sizes. I have two GS1200'S and only one f1.0 lens. I always switch out the lens to the f1.0 whichever machine I use, the difference is that noticeable.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 01:10 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Dom yes the f1.0

We strove for quality all the time to get the best on screen for a paying audience but the combination of that lens and a Xenon were the best. Many film makers sent in films with cement splices which any gs1200 would happily separate but I used to sit up half the night over tape splicing then peel the lot off before returning the films. The things we did to entertain and very much a labour of love.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 01:57 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that any wide aperture projection lens can make accurate focusing difficult at times, this can depend on the method of the lens focus control.
Micrometer focusing, as used on the Beulieu, is the type to be recommended.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 16, 2019 03:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the 1.0`s I had was very tough in that respect Maurice, the other much better.

Its obviously a matter of buying one from someone who can tell you if its as good as expected.

Or see and try etc.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC