8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ebay gambles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay gambles
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2019 01:12 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...I think it would be of value to hear from members (like me) who can speak to the experience of purchasing prints, full feature or digests, going in blind. ( prints lacking descriptions or without screenshots ). There may be many bad luck experiences but there could also be a surprise or even a gem.
Where possible screenshots should be included in replies to this thread. Some of mine to come soon.
The latest Gamble I await is Gorgo from an eBay seller. I really wanted this print and finally managed an offer that was accepted. We will all know soon how this turns out. I will include a report on this print.

[ February 23, 2019, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 23, 2019 01:58 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Burton, i have bought of few digests as a gamble on ebay and aside one, i struck lucky on them. The ones that stand out are, a 400ft edition of one eyed jacks which was 7.99 and its like new, madigan, again a first class print and The Rose from a seller called bettysbargains. This seller stands out for me as not only did i gamble on the the print, but the seller went to the extra trouble to let me know that he was putting in the original clamshell case, but he was not happy with it so put it into a new white box and also did new labels. Thats one seller i would buy from again and again if anything came up, with or without any screenshots.
I will pop up a few images Sunday or Monday on these.
I know it isn't set in stone, but if a seller has a good feedback score, (over 100 as a guide), then generally i would be happy to take a gamble. I have only bought one or two that were not so good so i simply gave them a clean up to improve things a listed them back on ebay with images and a proper description and got my money back plus a small bonus.
One i did go upto £18 for was the boys from Brazil, so at this price it was a gamble but it turned out fine, reviewed here,
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000592

Having said that, all ebay listings,(only in my opinion), without any screenshots are a gamble. i like to see them from across the entire film as well, not just from the first ten minutes.
i have yet to be lucky enough to find a feature for a tenner like some people have though. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 23, 2019 11:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with screenshots, it can be a gamble ...

I recently bought an optical sound feature from the UK. It didn't have screenshots but instead. full sections of frames from the film and by the frames should, it had pretty darned good color. What I got was a red mess which means that those photo's (which were done with a completely white background) were a complete doctoring job. You can't be THAT off on color.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Capazzo
Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2019 12:02 PM      Profile for John Capazzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can take comfort that if you gamble on a print off ebay, even a novice seller won't doubt your veracity and will most certainly refund you. And without sending the print back. Happened to me several times. I'd get a red; and/or scratched/missing titles; etc. and they all refunded me without mailing. I'd tell them if they relisted it, they'd get peanuts for it so it stays with me and I pass it along in a lot of films I'd sell. Osi, I've had great experiences with Walton prints such as Boys from Brazil and Tom and Jerry cartoons. The prints struck in U.K. 40+ years ago still retained color to this day.

--------------------
"the image is about 30 feet ahead of us."

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2019 11:41 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Here's one I recently received: 400' Derann Digest of "The Mummy's Shroud". Advertised without screenshots and described as good color. the 4 X 400' release all seem to have fade so I was very happy to see this digest on Agfa Stock! It is really nice!
What a digest! Worth the gamble!

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2019 02:01 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Looks good Burt! I'll be on the lookout on this one!

Leonard Goss
Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Leonard Goss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently struck lucky with a 5 x 400 Super 8 print of "Oh Mr Porter" starring the great Will Hay. I had only ever seen this film in 4 x 400 versions but this one appears to be the full feature. It has a few lab marks in places but overall is a great eBay bargain buy!
Another eBay bargain in recent months was a 5 x 400 super 8 print of "Sands of Iwo Jima" starring John Wayne in great condition. It's worth taking a gamble!

--------------------
A fan of 8mm movies since the mid 1960s and still as keen as ever!

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2019 12:46 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you made out well, Leonard!
I was hoping to hear more from members that have had a success story to share so thanks for your post.

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2019 04:40 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Just want to say that ebay still can give good surprise.
I purchase four bruce lee agfa film and in the description it's was written "sold without garanti" and "don't have the projector to test them". Wenn arrive the movie have great color, non reddish at all.

If the price is attractive, i don't hesitate to bet.

Pierre

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC