8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Advise for a Elmo GS 1200 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Advise for a Elmo GS 1200
Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 08:56 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I back for a another advise. Recently i came accross a proposition for a Elmo GS 1200 for 400€( 454$). What i have read, it's the best projector. It been a long time i was looking for it but never found a good opportunity. The owner confirm it's working fine but i will test it if i'm willing to buy it. I have some question, is this projector a must have? Does this projector solid? because i don't want repair it every time, i prefere to repair shipper projector ofter that a expensive one.
In the future i may re-dubbed some film, does i need this one?

I realy don't know if i want to enjoy the maximum the super8 movie, i need this expensive projector.

Here some photo of the projector:

-

-

Thank you for your help

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2019 09:07 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me this machine is a Ferrari: absolutely awesome capabilities, but sometimes with the price of being a little temperamental.

The thing is, when you are out on a racetrack with the Lamborghinis and the Porsches you really need the Ferrari. You show up with the Volkswagen, you're going to get your doors blown off.

Much the same: the more you into large screen projection, or you are re-recording tracks, the more you need something like a GS.

At CineSea, S8 and 16 go toe to toe on the big screen and 8 looks just fine: a Xenon GS is the reason. There is no substitute in that case.

If you are projecting small screen or you don't need the sync pulse capability, you may be just as happy with something more middle of the road. I think using a GS where a lighter duty machine would do well deprives it of its chance to really show its abilities. (If you take a Ferrari to the supermarket, your biggest reaction may be there's not a lot of room for groceries!)

The one thing I can tell you for sure: having a 1200 foot supply reel and a 600 foot take-up just makes me uncomfortable for some reason!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 09:20 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The probleme is, i have recently buy 800 feet reel i can't watch with my current projector. But pay this much money for looking 4 big reel i don't know. The price seems fair for what i have see on ebay or other site.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2019 09:27 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great machine, yet there are others that can take an 800 foot reel that aren't quite to this level.

I think if you buy it, and if it's in good shape, you will not be sorry, but my own philosophy is to keep things as simple as possible.

I think one gap a GS can certainly fill is mixed shows with other formats. I find if I mix in 100 or 150W super-8 projected films with video projection, I have to show the 8mm first or they look dim. If I had a 250W or Xenon lamp. I bet I could get more flexibility.

--------------------

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 09:31 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, The pictures shown are of the older model! Most collectors want the newer model! Easy way to tell is look at the front cover! See witch way the loop former knob is pointing if its pointing towards the front than its the older model! If pointing towards the back its the newer model! Elmo modified the newer model! Its better! Now here we go! They changed the aperture plate, the two motors take up and rewind! 5-6 volt! The old motors were 2-3 volt! The newer model handles splices better!they changed the Governor circuit board! They changed the top sprocket shoe! They changed the pressure pad lever! All for the better!

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 09:47 AM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre,

If you are looking primarily for reel size capacity of 1200 ft., maybe consider an Elmo ST-1200 HD. These are considered good machines with good sound. (I have an Elmo ST-1200 (not as robust sound as the HD), and it is a decent projector. The ST-1200 HD would be less costly, and less complex to repair, but have fewer fancy options than the GS-1200--one key limitation of ST-1200 HD is no "pulse-sync" capability for quartz-locked re-recording. Although many people successfully re-record/dub films manually without a pulse-sync capable projector. There have been a few recent posts here mentioning this manual re-recording...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2019 10:05 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Greg!

I have an ST-1200HD and am considering doing the 2 blade surgery (Paging Dr. Norris!) in the not too distant future!

Why not? I never us it for 18FPS anyway.

--------------------

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 10:12 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry ,Steve, But I do the GS1200 Only! Thanks!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 18, 2019 10:39 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leon mentioned the different size aperture plates. I actually prefer the larger opening aperture plate on the original model GS1200 because it a) gives a bigger picture and b) produces a brighter picture. The only down side of the original large aperture plate is that you sometimes have to ride the framing knob - depending on the frame line thickness on the film print.
Question for Leon: can the old (larger) version 1 aperture plate be switched into the version 2 machine?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 18, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre
The price of 400 Euros is cheap for a really good model GS-1200. I would be suspicious at this price.
However, if you get the chance of seeing it working before you buy you can make up your own mind.
Remember that this projector is full of electronics and can often have faults develop.
As mentioned above, an Elmo ST-1200HD would be better suited for you.

--------------------
Maurice

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 10:46 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your advise.i think the owner is not a collectionor that's why it's this cheap. it seems that's not a good opportunity as it's seems. There's is so many characteristics and parameters who need to be aware off.
Maybe if the seller is okay for 200€ i will take it. I will continue to look after the elected projector. But having a projector who can accept big reel if a necessity because i plan in the futur buy full feature.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 18, 2019 11:12 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, look at the lens. You may see 1.3 or 1.1 or 1.0. 1.3 is the cheapest lens. If you see 1.0, bingo it's a very good lens that gives you a bright picture. This lens alone may be sold aroun 250/350 euros. If you see 1.1, it's a good lens as well. It will give you a much better picture than an 1.3 one. A 1.1 is sold around 100/150 euros. Those lenses can be used for other Elmo models.

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 11:42 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pierre,

Depending on times to run movies and what kind of use is expected , from my own experience (I use GS1200 and Beaulieu 708 , same price in France) :

- Sound TransFer by pulse Sync ==> ELMO GS1200
- Film "Friendly" (means no scratch, splices friendly) ==> Definitly Beaulieu 708 which shows a clear and simple (Give up GS1200)
- Lens ==> more or less equivalent
- Sound Heads ==> GS1200 almost no life limit (BEAULIEU 708; 350 Hrs approx)

- Electronic reliability ===> Beaulieu 708 is quite simple and compact, probably the easiest to maintain by yourself.
GS1200 needs more Electronic knowledges.

- Mechanic "Design" : Beaulieu 708 is designed like classical 16mm machines with ball bearings fitted and compact subassemblies, 1 hour and 80% of the machines is disassembled !
Beaulieu's Film Path is excellent, no passive guides to scratch films. All films bought as new 40 years ago (Polyester or Acetat as well) are still showing the same mechanical condition....

If you have more specific questions, you can PM me....

If you need to pick up sounds from DVD and you need a very "film-friendly" machine too, you need both machines !!!

PS : Try to lower price for the GS1200. I have got a beautiful one for 250 Euros in perfect condition (1 year ago approx)

Same thing for a Beaulieu 708 EL (Mono). You can get one in good condition for 250 Euros now....

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 12:14 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre - At 400 Euros, I would buy it. If you find you do not like it ( I would be surprised if you did not like it) you could re-sell it easily and make a profit.

If you are looking for another good quality stereo projector which will be mechanically simpler, and you do not want pulse sync. or vari speed control for re-recording, may I suggest the Sankyo 800 ?
A solid piece of Japanese technology.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, No they can't be switched! They are different! Now what you can do is get a diamond file and file the aperture plate window! When you file. Do the bottom part. Go nice and slow. And make a even straight line! If you do it right you will get more picture and more light! You will be surprised! On how much better it is. I did mine it took a while but it paid off! Just remember go slow and keep a straight line! Do the bottom part only! If you mess up than you have to buy another aperture plate!

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 05:14 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your response. I will give a call to the owner to have a closer look at the machine and maybe discuss the price. Thank of your rewiew, i have now alternative for good projector who can take biger reel. And now i know what to look before buying a projector (lens, old/recent model,...).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 19, 2019 06:06 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, if this projector is working petfectly well and if it has a 1.1 lens, or better a 1.0 one, 400 euros is a good price (but of course, if you can have it for lower...). A last thing, I want to add about the GS 1200 : the lamps are special 200 watts ones. They are more expensive than the standard ones but you can put standard ones as well (200 watts like the originals but you will get a little bit less light).

--------------------
Dominique

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 06:16 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good things to know,thanks.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 19, 2019 09:32 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would personally suggest making a decision soon, because if the projector is working well and the owner thinks of doing some research on what a GS1200 generally sells for, he may suddenly decide to significantly increase the price!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 11:48 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grab it while you still can at a good deal!

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 04:43 PM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will give the guy a call, i will let you know what's happen.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2019 06:13 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with EVERYTHING that has been said here.

However I will also say that I made the change to GS 1200 and I do not believe that I can ever go back to using anything else.

The machines require patience. It is one hell of a super 8 projector. A workhorse of a machine.

But also think of it this way it doesn't matter what brand or model you to choose to run. Given the age of this hobby and media - all will give trouble from time to time.

I stand by my GS 1200 machines for as long as I can continue this hobby for years to come.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 30, 2019 03:09 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some recent news ?

--------------------
Dominique

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2019 04:49 AM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Yes, i take a look at the projector and it have no problem to project the film but he was a bit dirty and the case had one impact but at first sight it doesn"t seems to alterat the projection. I have a long chat with the guy i was willing to pay maximum 280€(it's the money on my bank account) but his last price was 380€. I'm a bit sad but i have not lost hope to find a another one more affordable.

Thank you all for your guidance, i has help me a lot and it will still help me in the futur.

Despite this, i have some more news. I may post some topic on the 16mm forum. I come closer to the 9.5mm.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 01, 2019 05:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre
GS-1200 projectors still sell for much more that the seller's now quoted price of 380€.
If it is good condition, and works OK, at this price it is a good buy.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC