8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 7500 no power to motor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 7500 no power to motor
Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2019 01:06 PM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dug out my chinon 7500 to give it a run, plugged it in, pressed the red power button and the light in the main controller & lamp pre heat came on as normal.Then i put it in to foreward/thread and nothing, the lamp & amp works ok but motor is dead.So checked the fuses (found 3, are there any more?) and they are all ok.Last time i used it was a few months ago and it ran perfect.Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be ?.It is in excellent condition and looks hardly used so the motor should be good.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 06, 2019 07:23 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jason....You mentioned pressing a "red" power button. I may be wrong...but isn't the red button for recording? The pre-lamp should go on when you plug in the power cord. To turn on the projector you just need to turn the main knob to thread and don't touch the red button.

[ April 07, 2019, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2019 08:43 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Janice you're correct. The red button is for recording, and even when it's pressed in it doesn't affect the motor function on the 7500...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2019 11:20 AM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it has a red recording button on the same side as the main controller and a red power on/off button on the back.The projector does nothing until this button is pressed

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 07, 2019 02:43 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason is it possible that your projector has been modified. I've never seen a rear power button on this model.

Here is a photo of the back of a typical Chinon 7500:
 -

Perhaps you could remove the back cover and post a picture to let us see the power switch and how it is connected to the motor.

--------------------
Janice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 07, 2019 02:56 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just checked my Chinon 7500 and it has, indeed, a red push button on/off switch.
It is situated on the left rear panel.

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted April 07, 2019 03:35 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen that before Maurice ... at least not here in the US...Learn something new every day [Smile]

Now that Maurice has confirmed indeed there is a power button...back to why doesn't the motor run [Frown] I have another model Chinon so I'm not familiar with your model. However some basic troubleshooting...Check for faulty wiring...switch corrosion... bad fuses (if it has them)...etc. Check to see if power is getting to the motor with a multimeter.

--------------------
Janice

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2019 04:18 PM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is in very good condition and was running perfect when last used a couple of months ago so the wiring should be ok and cant see any corrision.I have a multimeter but have no idea how to use them and i’m a bit reluctant to poke around the motor area with anything while it is switched on.I’m pretty good with the mechanical side to projectors but have no idea when it comes to electrics.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 08, 2019 02:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry that this reply can't help Jason's problems as it relates to the On/Off switch.

I understand that this is/was a UK requirement for any electrical item to have a power switch to isolate it from the mains in the even of any problem which could produce an electrical shock to the user. Remember that the declared voltage in UK households is 230.

Not sure when this requirement was introduced, but I have earlier Chinons which do not have this switch. The 7500 entered the market in 1978.

--------------------
Maurice

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2019 05:07 AM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also some of the later manufactured eumig 800s had an on/off switch added.I think i’ll just stick this one in the garage and worry about it another time,its not my main projector anyway.I was just puzzled as to why it would all of a sudden do this.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC