8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 2000H Shadow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 2000H Shadow
Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2019 11:01 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've a couple of Sankyo 2000H projectors in very good condition. These are sprocketless dual gauge machines. The one which I rarely use has a fault which is baffling me. It's fine with Super 8 films but, when I run Regular 8, there's a slanting shadow in the bottom right corner on the screen. It's like there's something between the projector and the screen. Any suggestions, please?

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 06, 2019 12:19 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Will...Perhaps there is a broken piece of film or dust in the gate that moves into view when you move the gauge lever to Std 8mm. Remove the lens and shine a light on the gate. Move the gauge lever up and down and see if something moves into the frame opening. Also try moving the mask of the framer to see if that reveals anything.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 06, 2019 01:40 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your suggestion, Janice, but it wasn't that and things have got a lot worse since I last looked. Apart from a narrow image at the top of the screen, the film is blocked out. I believe that there's plate which blocks out the light if there's no film in the gate. This must have moved out of position somehow. It looks like I'll have to remove the heatsink glass to see what's going on. I have a link to your excellent tutorial on removing that though. Any thoughts, please?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 07, 2019 01:35 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Will you'll have to disassemble that area, however you shouldn't have to remove the glass if it's clear. There is something else blocking the light. Keep us posted on what you find.

--------------------
Janice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2019 02:30 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I followed your tutorial, Janice, but decided to remove the bracket holding the heatsink glass as I couldn't see a lot. I could then see that a plate, pivoted at its top left corner, obscures the light beam through the gate. When forward is engaged a linkage swings it up out of the way. It swings back down again when the lamp is switched on. If a film is loaded then it's supposed to move out of the way again. Clearly, it's not doing that and the "shadow" I mentioned must have been the edge of the plate. It's not easy to see the linkage so I can't tell what's gone wrong. I tested this projector with my others in mid January and it was fine and so I'm at a loss as to what's happened. At least it'll be a source of spares for my other 2000H if I can't fix it.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 07, 2019 03:39 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Will...at least you've found the problem. Hopefully you can fix it. I'm wondering if you can remove it completely and the lamp will still work or trim it so it doesn't block the light path. Just a thought. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Janice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2019 06:14 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand the point of blocking the light path when there isn't a film in the gate. I did think of removing the blanking plate but another fault's now shown up in that a film loads, the latch springs up and the film's stuck in the gate. All this must be related to the linkage problem. I've half a dozen projectors I can use instead so it's not a big problem. Thanks, Janice.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2019 02:32 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fixed! Something had gone wrong with the mechanism which detects when there's a film in the gate and swings the plate out of the way. I couldn't see how it worked let alone get to it. I stood the projector on its front and carefully applied a spot of super glue to the edge of the plate to keep it in the open position. That did the trick and the projector works perfectly now. Thanks to Janice for her excellent tutorial.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 12, 2019 03:30 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is good news Will! So glad you stuck with it and was able to develop a fix. Too Good a projector to have it just sitting on a shelf gathering dust because of such a simple problem.

--------------------
Janice

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted May 12, 2019 08:08 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only sole intention of that "function" I can think of,is to preventing the screen being blasted out with white light when the reel has run out,annoying the audiences. [Roll Eyes]
Considering the complexity of the mechanics needed and the fragility of it there's no surprise that this "function" didn't catch on. Just wouldn't worth the effort IMHO.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2019 05:20 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It featured on the Dualux 1000 as well leading some eBay sellers to think that the projector they'd found was faulty and pricing it low as a result.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 13, 2019 07:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of this light blocking "feature" I have never used a Sankyo 2000H or 1000 for off the gate telecine. It prevented pre-capture focusing and positioning. However...it looks like Will's Super Glue trick might make shooting off the gate much more doable now [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2019 05:52 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope my fix is of use. It's important to stand the projector on its front so that the plate is horizontal as you don't want any glue dripping elsewhere. I used a wooden cocktail stick to apply a small drop of the super glue which was all it needed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC