8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Cleaning Optical Soundtracks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cleaning Optical Soundtracks
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 09:00 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it okay to clean films with optical soundtracks, the same way as one would clean a film with a magnetic soundtrack?

I wouldn't destroy the optical would I ?

I am specifically referring to super 8.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 10:32 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have cleaned many optical films over the years,the only difference is I use less cleaner(filmguard)as to not wet the film as much as I find the sound can warble in doing so,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Mark. I was just worried that I might mess up / dissolve the track or something. I will bear that in mind to use less cleaner.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2019 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! It's so good to do so, and so very essential as well as, those little optical tracks on super 8, once a buyild-up of dust or debris gets on that optical track, it can sometimes get as loud as the actual audio on the track. Thankfully, it's easy enough to get rid of ...

But also very essential, clean the optical lense on you're projector as well as, in that incredibly small pin-hole on the lense that let's the light shine through for the sound ... it can get quite dirty and even clogged, thereby either limiting or getting rid of optical sound altogether.

When i cleaned the optical lense on my projectors, the optical sound was suddenly much sharper and louder, a dramatic improvement!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 04:49 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you clean a optical print do it lightly! If you use to much you will get a popping noise! And clog up the rear element of the sound lens!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC