8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What fantasy films were released on Super 8?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What fantasy films were released on Super 8?
Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 01:31 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was any version (200ft, 400ft etc) of Dragonslayer released on Super 8?
Or any other fantasy film for that matter? Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Krull, Conan etc.
I know there’s a 600ft Never Ending Story.
Cheers,

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2019 02:03 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a trailer for Dragonslayer, but no-one seems to know where it came from.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 13, 2019 07:34 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know where the 'Dragonslayer' trailers came from! I have one that was a Jeff Films release, but there's another that's very different that was one of a few 'in house' (and not sold) Disney prints that got onto the market.

Considering that the Disney feature 'Popeye' (released in December 1980), resulted in a 200' Disney release, 'Dragonslayer' (released in June 1981) was arguably the first Disney release to NOT be released on Super 8 in any form, despite very good credentials that would have previously resulted in a release. But we don't know if the fact it was a Disney/Paramount co-production may have also complicated the situation. 'The Fox and the Hound' was released the following month and did make it to Super 8 - and I believe this was the final new film from Walt Disney Home Movies. So perhaps that also drew attention away from 'Dragonslayer' at a time when the end was in sight for WDHM.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 14, 2019 11:44 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that "The Dark Crystal" trailer made it out onto super 8.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2019 03:14 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were a lot of fantasy films released on super 8 sound!

Andreas Chmielewski
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2019 10:02 AM      Profile for Andreas Chmielewski   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, i have a Trailer from The Dark Crystal on Super 8, Derann Print

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2019 11:18 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose Derann's 600' release of Hawk the Slayer falls into this category!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2019 04:56 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There’s a 600ft Hawk the Slayer on Super8???!!!!! [Embarrassed]
I must track this down...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 03, 2019 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what kinds of fantasies you're talkin' about! [Wink]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People often mean Sword and Sorcery titles - from Conan to Elves, Trolls and Goblins, kind of thing. Derann released 'Never Ending Story', I guess that counts. Lord of the Rings trailers are out there from CHC. I have the Columbia 200ft extracts from 'Jason and the Argonauts', my favourite film between the ages of 10 and 15 years old.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2019 09:39 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann also released Jason and the Argonauts and 7th Voyage of Sinbad in full length if you consider those fantasy.

MGM released a cutdown/digest of Clash of the Titans. I believe that was a 2x400ft.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC