8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell and Howell MX33 projector, reels don't turn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell MX33 projector, reels don't turn
Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 04, 2019 01:43 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a Bell and Howell MX33 projector at a garage sale (being assured it worked). When I turned it on at home, the reels do not turn. After taking off the back and trying to clean out the old grease, I lubricated it where I could. A part I'll describe as a fly wheel now turns occasionally but the reels still don't turn. Has anyone seen this problem before?

|  IP: Logged

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2019 03:09 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Did you check the belt ?
That is one reason it may be stretched out

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 04, 2019 03:28 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The belt does look stretched out. When I apply some pressure to the belt, the "flywheel" does spin a little. How can I change the belt on this unit? Do you think the projector needs any lubrication or do you think the belt is the problem?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 04, 2019 04:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carl...I have worked on the B&H MX33 and even with the technical manual I have never figured out a way to replace with a purchased belt or o-ring. However...I have installed a DIY belt that worked great. You can find instructions for purchasing the belt material and how to install it HERE.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 05, 2019 02:45 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I send a short video of the projector's operation to you? You may see something that gives a better idea of what is wrong. Sometimes, when I first turn it on, the flywheel spins but for only a short time. The flywheel seems to be sticking as if it needs lubrication). I have used a stick to get the wheel spinning again. While spinning, I try to engage the forward or reverse but the reels still don't spin.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 05, 2019 04:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upload a video to YouTube and place the link in this thread. I am thinking the flywheel you are referring to is the fan that is connected to the motor shaft. If the shaft isn't turning try adding some oil. Also make sure the fan is secured to the shaft. Make sure the grub screws are tight.

--------------------
Janice

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 05, 2019 05:40 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thanks. I'll make a video and send you the link.

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 08, 2019 06:13 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the YouTube link:

https://youtu.be/ykB0QOYQXgs

What lubrication would you suggest since the gears still seem to be sticking?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 08, 2019 09:02 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl .... it is definitely the belt that needs replacing. It is just slipping round the pulleys. There may be other things going on, but hard to tell from such an isolated view. These projectors are not typically engineered like most other 8mm projectors. This model was built with cheap parts creating many points of failure and did not hold up over the years

I see now what you are calling the flywheel is the SHUTTER. The shutter will not turn if the belt is too loose. I again refer you back to the thread linked above to make a new belt. Replacing the belt...cleaning... and lubrication would be my first efforts.

As far as lubricants...these are the two I use. SUPER LUBE is a great for replacing old hardened grease on gears. A light-weight machine oil is best for motors and roller shafts. I like this oil by Bramec Zoom Spout because it has a great spout.

-

--------------------
Janice

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 09, 2019 06:10 AM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2019 12:30 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Thank you Janice for getting back to Carl
With the information
Got tied up replacing a B&H worm gear.
I knew it had to be the belt
Thanks
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 09, 2019 03:16 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard...Yes you were correct. As soon as I saw the video I could see the belt wasn't moving. Replacing the belt IS possible...but it's just a pain. You need the right materials. [Frown]

Have fun with the worm gear. Although that part can also be a pain to replace...the result and benefits are an excellent working projector [Smile]

[ August 09, 2019, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 24, 2019 07:45 AM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for your help. I got the shutter, gears and shaft spinning properly but the small black nub on the right side of the shaft that drives the spool shattered. Where do I get a replacement part and how do replace it?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2019 01:52 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl can you post a photo of the part and where on the "shaft" to which you are referring?

--------------------
Janice

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 24, 2019 03:04 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted August 24, 2019 06:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl I believe that rubber pad is glued to the shaft that is going to the clutch assy. Since these projectors haven't been manufactured for 40 years you will have to locate another projector and scavenge the parts. This might be more costly than it's worth your investment... time and money.

This is what it should look like.
 -

[ August 24, 2019, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 26, 2019 07:50 AM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the 2014-15 post "Belt replacement instructions for a Bell and Howell 1460 projector" and it appears this piece is prone to breaking. I would expect to find it broken or ready to break on another projector that I would scavenge for parts. Did you replace the one on your projector?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 26, 2019 11:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but you make no mention of the projector having a serviceable lamp.
Are you aware of the cost of an DLD/DFZ lamp?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DLD-DFZ-PROJECTOR-LAMP-80w-30v-for-Bell-Howell/293189689021

--------------------
Maurice

Carl Quatraro
Junior

- posted August 26, 2019 01:40 PM      Profile for Carl Quatraro   Email Carl Quatraro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the lamp is working. I am looking for a way to replace the small black plastic tip at the end of the drive shaft so the reel spools will turn. The tip shattered into three pieces. Has anyone figured out a way to get this projector working after this kind of damage?

Here is the picture from the 2014-15 thread about the belt replacement:
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC