8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Korvettes Instdual 444 8 RZ: issue w/ gears (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Korvettes Instdual 444 8 RZ: issue w/ gears
John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 04, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Team! I have this not too common projector, distributed I think by a department store called Korvettes back in the day; not sure who makes the actual projector. The gears spin slow and stop; when stopped, the belt isn't turning but the fan is. I'm not sure if the gears are too tight or jammed a bit, or if the belt is wearing or maybe not even the right one. The belt that's in there is not broke; maybe it's wore too much, or is enlarged? I'll try to include some pics. It's a wedge shaped belt; meaning, not a tube shaped, and not flat. It wedges down on one side into the gears, at least the belt installed. Also I'm not sure what kind of belt (looks like it's 2.5 inches from outer edge to outer edge) to order since I can't find a parts list for Korvettes! Thanks for your thoughts on this project...!

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2019 08:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, your story warms my heart!

-because back until maybe my college days EJ Korvette was just about my favorite department store. They had Super-8 Kodachrome with a processing mailer on sale for like 4 bucks a cartridge a couple of times a year. Mom cleared space on the bottom shelf of the 'fridge, and I made a ton of films as a result!

I think Korvette's had a warm spot for 8mm film: I have metal film cans with "EJ Korvette" stamped in them.

I did some looking around and our friend Van Eck has parts for a very similar Korvette machine including the belts.

EJ Korvette!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2019 08:16 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's time to take a tour to your local hardware store. [Big Grin]

Digging deep down to the o-ring section, it is possible to have a more or less the same size o-ring to fit in. That will do the job for sure. [Wink]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 04, 2019 08:22 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve and Nantawat! Love the info on Korvettes! And thanks for the link. And thanks for the hardware store tip; sounds like a great idea too, as on Ebay someone has one for $18.. that's more than the projector cost lol!
So does the belt look bad to either of you? Do they sometimes enlarge or just become unable to reliably turn the gears?
Thanks!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 04, 2019 08:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I saw a belt like that on a car engine, I would put a new one on. It's pretty glazed looking and starting to fray as well.

-different set of priorities, of course!

(I've never had to walk home because I busted a projector belt!)

--------------------

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 06:28 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point! Common sense wins out again! : )

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 07:04 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John - As far as I can see, this projector is a Prinz Magnon LV by another name. I had one for years. Excellent silent machine. 8v 50w bulb I seem to recall?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 07:51 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh that's helpful! I think you're right on the bulb; I haven't taken it out yet to look at it. But it seems bright and a good unit, if I can fix this issue! Thanks so much, I'll look that model up later!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 05, 2019 09:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Prinz Magnon LV.
https://www.van-eck.net/img/itable/images/film_102_ZA_1483775054423.JPG

--------------------
Maurice

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 10:49 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty much it! Minus the 8mm/Super8 switch on the side? Unless I missed it in a quick check. Thanks!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2019 12:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the "Korvette" lens!

Were people supposed to believe that EJ Korvette and Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Ward had projector factories some place? (I'm sure some did!)

What was also different about those days was cinema gear was not sold in the same department you bought your TV and audio gear. Those were called "home entertainment" or "consumer electronics". A movie projector was sold right alongside movie cameras, movie film and movie editing supplies. It was considered photography gear and you bought in in the camera department.

What's a little sad about our times is back then you could actually go to the store and see first hand what they had. It's an obscure custom called "shopping": a ritual of ancient cultures!

-back then "shopping online" meant you were standing at the cash register (-and there was a comma in between...)

My parents used to take us down to a big local department store and we kind of grazed there: anything you could imagine was there from toys to cameras to clothes to tires to tools. They even had services: I remember one had a shoe repair department and another you could hire an attorney!

When you were all done you could get your kid a snack and everyone went home happy! Until amazon.com can produce a hot pretzel with their deliveries, something is missing!

--------------------

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 12:44 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome history there! I never saw a Korvettes. I grew up in CA, we had other department stores there besides the main big named ones.
But I did think the lens, brightness, etc. looked pretty good! I just need to get this projector functional so I can really assess it. But again, it looked clear, bright, etc. for a 50w bulb if that's the case.

ps for the dept. store brands, I have what I consider to be an awesome Sears Super 8 Sound projector specimen...! It seems really solid and whoever made it (Chinon? not sure) it's pretty solid, great display, functions, etc.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 12:49 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John did you find a belt yet? It looks like a square belt! I have plenty of them in stock! Let me know!

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 12:50 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, here comes the dumb question or comment of the day; I have the belt pictures in the top of the thread; does it look square? Or are you talking about the wedge shape to the belt? it looks round to me...!

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 12:55 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a square belt! I will check and see if I have one to match!

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 01:17 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Korvettes was where I bought my Super8 colour sound 9 minute excerpts from Star Wars. It was also my go-to place for buying records. Their record department was the best.

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 01:30 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From some of this discussion, maybe it is the belt and pulleys being too greasy? I did notice inside it looks too lubricated for an old projector; maybe someone applied grease/etc. too liberally. Look at this from another post:
If the belts slip its often oil or grease in the "V" of the pulleys that the belt fits into, try cleaning these out first, then clean the belts before refitting.
Just use a good de-greasing cleaner and get it right into the pulleys pitch or groove.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 01:38 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well try it and see what happens?

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 01:45 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, why do I have to be at work now?!? heehee
I'll try it when I get home and let everything dry out overnight, etc. try to finish it tomorrow night or the weekend.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 02:01 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 02:08 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys ever try Belt Dressing/Conditioner for these types of issues once cleaned? If so, does it help? I see it in aerosol cans from Lowes, etc.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 02:13 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I have never tried it before I just replace it! But just give it a good cleaning and see what happens!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 05, 2019 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that the projector was made in Japan.

--------------------
Maurice

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 02:58 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this cool that Korvettes Projector has such a long informative thread?!? They'd be so proud!!

John Pierson
Junior

- posted September 06, 2019 06:47 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Team! Happy Weekend and NFL season, if you like either ; )
So I de-greased and then installed the belt, but alas, to no avail, as the issue remains. The bottom gear spins, but the belt doesn't really catch and barely moves here/there the top gear. So I have to assume the belt either stretched to the point of being too loose, or it's the wrong belt someone put on it. Oh hey, look at this, I found another model of this projector! It's got its DNA all over the place:
https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_magno n/magnon_800_dls.htm
Guess it is also the Magnon 800.
I saw a belt on eBay for 7.99... guess I'll try that as one final step. There's no other way to mimic, for a short-while, a belt with a rubber band or string or... right? Want to make sure there is no MacGyver tip you all know of just to ensure the right belt would fix 'er up!?!
Thanks for your thoughts, have a great night!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC