8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Total Shut Down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Total Shut Down
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 21, 2019 11:04 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my GS1200 Version 2, which is my main projector, has totally failed. No power, no motor or fan, just the amplifier light and front side light come on. As soon as I throw the power switch on, it blows one of the 3.5 amp fuses on the transformer panel.
No idea what caused this but I had been having problems with the rear take up not working and was trouble shooting in the area of the big Matsushita relay on the control board. I found that if I gave that relay a tap then the rear take up would rotate for several minutes before quitting. I repeated this several times and then decided to reheat all the solder points that connect that relay to the control board, thinking it may have been a cold solder joint problem. It was after doing this that the projector refused to run at all, and I found out that it was blowing one of the main fuses on the transformer board.
Help! Any sugestions appreciated.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2019 11:55 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I'll give you a call!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 21, 2019 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Leon. I want to get this beautiful machine up and running again!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 21, 2019 12:16 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I think you’ve bridged adjacent pins with solder.

(Happens to the best of us!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 21, 2019 03:15 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Already checked that Steve, I see nothing like that.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Stuart Finkelstein
Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2019 03:58 AM      Profile for Stuart Finkelstein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this happen before. It's usually a governor board or the ESS assembly. Both can be repaired. Don't lose hope.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 02, 2019 03:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before starting any replacement of components on the big control board I did the following:

1. I removed the small motor board which plugs into the control board.

2. I switched on the power and the fuse did not blow, and the main blower motor now powers up and the lamp lights up in preheat mode.

Does this mean that the motor board is the problem ? Can it be repaired?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2019 02:01 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Very High probability you found out "issue root" [Wink] :

Upon some research in forums backgrounds from my side (German Forums too) some GS1200 owners have reported this typical problem (35V fuse burnt due to failed "Governor").
Often time , when "Governor" board fails, it generates a short-circuit on 35V power supply.
I/C UPC1002C fitted on "Governor" Board is probably out of order due to poor caps around.
Also it can be an aging failure which shows up for machines which have accumulated many working hours.

UPC1002C is an I/C "NEC" component, a bit difficult to get , but still available (minimum price around 5Eur in China) .

In case "Governor" refurbishment option is choosen :
A) To remove UPC1002C, it can be more confortable to cut pins before and to desolder each pin by each one in order to limit stress of board.
B) Install 14 pins DIL socket on board first then simply clips "firmly" new I/C on socket.(This minor modification allows fast futire installation/removal of I/C).
Pay particular attention during socket and I/C : Do not reverse position
C) Suggest to replace all caps and small transistors as an corrective action package.

Here is suggested 14 pins socket :
 -

[ October 03, 2019, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 05, 2019 06:48 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul!
Are you on Facebook?
There is a Comunity for repairing this Stuff.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC