8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Audio Line Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Audio Line Out
Ethan S. Knightchilde
Junior

- posted October 08, 2019 06:01 PM      Profile for Ethan S. Knightchilde   Author's Homepage   Email Ethan S. Knightchilde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all--

Does anyone know what kind of cable (specifically) can be use with an 824 Sonomatic? It's a DIN connection, and ideally I would like to get a conversion cable to run to a 1/4" or 3.5mm jack. Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2019 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the exact cables are out there someplace, but if they are it's news to me!

I've had to solder together my own; depending on how you personally feel about soldering, that may or may not be a big deal for you.

My Eumig cable is a DIN (5 pin) male to balanced 1/4" male, because I plug into a mixer.

The pinout of the DIN is like this:

DIN Pin 3 Signal
DIN Pin 2 RTN

There are all sorts of choices: for example there are in-line 1/4 and 1/8" female jacks.

What would you like to connect into?

One thing you do need to be careful of with the Eumig 800 series is the output impedance of the line level output is 50,000 Ohms: pretty immense compared to (for example) the Elmo's 600 Ohms.

Where this causes grief is when you plug it into a typical 10,000 Ohm amplifier input. Your signal is now 1/6 the voltage you started with.

To add insult to injury, you might put two amplifier inputs in parrallel (this now divides to 5000 Ohms) to get sound out both stereo channels and your signal falls to 5/55 (1/11, 9%!) what it would be open circuit: pretty weak!

Of course when you crank the volume to get some sound all sorts of audio nasties are amplified too!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 08, 2019 07:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, would you be better off coming out of the external speaker socket and splicing a resistor in line to the external amp? That way you can get a higher signal input to the amp and you can control volume and treble/bass directly from the projector (if you wish)?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 08, 2019 08:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that would work: DIN speaker connector, a resistive divider and then the output.

Right now I'm getting ready to make a hookup like this to connect a Kodak Pageant into my mixer, most likely after CineSea. The Pageant doesn't have line out, so it's not even a choice!

(I have all the parts and the box to mount it in: just need the time.)

The Eumig into my mixer is OK: Input impedance is 20K, so at least I get 2/7 of the full line out. My mixer has enough gain to make this work.

Then again there is the 'ol Eumig grounding: not hard to get a ground loop!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 10, 2019 02:48 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was "The Eumig Universal Re-recording Lead", part number 790.0260/2. This was used to connect the 5-pin DIN socket to various devices.
This site has a Manuals Section. If you go to the manual for the Eumig S810 series projector you will find full details on page 16.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/index.php?category=2

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC