8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » classic sci-fi/fantasy films for sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: classic sci-fi/fantasy films for sale
Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there. Time to make some room in the old film cabinet. Drop me a line if you're interested in any of these super 8mm titles. All of these films are in very good condition, with known flaws noted below. All prices include media mail in the US (international buyers are welcome, but will have to pay their postage of choice). I accept Paypal and money orders. Looking forward to hearing from you!

SOLD Rocketship (3x400 and 1x200) Feature-length film release of the 1936 sci-fi serial Flash Gorden starring Buster Crabbe. Fabulous, campy 1930s special effects ($40).

SOLD Mars Attacks the World (3x400 and 1x200) Feature-length film release of the 1938 sci-fi serial Flash Gorden's Trip to Mars starring Buster Crabbe. Wonderful, campy 1930s special effects ($40).

SOLD Mighty Joe Young (4x400) Striking! Startling! Staggering! Special effects extravaganza from 1949 featuring the virtuosity of Ray Harryhausen. Many stunning stop-motion animation sequences ($75)

SOLD The Haunted Strangler (4x400) A Boris Karloff thriller from 1958 about a madman on the loose. Some reparable sproket damage at the start of the first reel, otherwise fine ($25).

I'll happily discount the entire lot to $150 (including domestic postage) to anyone who can give them all a good home.

SGB

[ October 09, 2006, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Scott G. Bruce ]

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 09, 2006 01:13 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Scott! I would like to purchase your Sci-Fi package at $150. Let me know, and I can send payment via Paypal. [Smile]

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're yours, Dan. More goodies will be posted tonight. Stay tuned!

SGB

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2006 11:11 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan, I've shipped the films in two separate boxes (mailed a day apart, so they may arrive separately). You should have them soon.

Please see my other postings for more films for sale, and a Chinon projector as well!

Best,

SGB

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 11, 2006 03:41 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Scott, no hurry. I am looking forward to these campy and classic films. [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 12, 2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I received one of the boxes today. It's the one that contains Mighty Joe Young and The Haunted Strangler. What nice prints with sharp focus! I've alwys wanted a copy of Mighty Joe Young and this one is gorgeous. I had never even heard of The Haunted Strangler. What a great Karloff to have in my collection. Thank you [Smile] .

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2006 12:16 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked that the box arrived so quickly, Dan, but I'm very pleased that you're happy. The second box should arrive any day now. Best, SGB

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 19, 2007 01:53 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to update my post on this purchase. When I originally posted how nice the prints were, I had only watched Reel #1 of Mighty Joe Young and Reel #1 of The Haunted Strangler. Believe or not, I had not watched Mighty Joe Young in total until this evening. Reel #1 was gorgeous, but Reels #2, #3, and #4 looked as though they had been printed from bad Dupes, and the sound was muted. Reel #3 had such bad sound that it went up and down in volume. To top this off, Mighty Joe Young is incomplete, missing the last Reel - Reel #5.

The Haunted Strangler was a nice print except the ending lab leader had three metal staples in a row across the film from a common office stapler. Luckily I had cleaned this film first, and found the staples before running it through my GS-1200. [Eek!]

Needless to say, I was disappointed that Mighty Joe Young was incomplete, and the sound and picture qualities were not stated in your ad.

I find the three staples(would have surely ruined my sound head, had I not cleaned the film first) at the end of The Haunted Strangler very disturbing. [Frown]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 19, 2007 10:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, Just curious ....

What would cause anybody to put staples at the end of a reel? Could it be a person who was just adding leader and had not grasped the concept of, (at the least) Scotch Tape?

That is very scary. I would hate to have my sound heads potentially damaged horribly. Not only that, but it could leave heavy scratches in the sound head, which would scratch other further films.

Thanks for your last post, because it made me think how many times I don't necessarily check or clean a print first, and there could be damaging things like that on the film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan L. Hitchcox
Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2007 10:32 PM      Profile for Alan L. Hitchcox   Author's Homepage   Email Alan L. Hitchcox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Osi: I learned a valuable lesson as well. The worst I had encountered in the past (besides damaged film) was adhesive from masking tape at the beginning of a film or maybe a Scotch tape splice.

I usually run a newly acquired film through my editor to clean and lube it before projecting it. Now, I'll make sure I ALWAYS preview it. Glad the projector didn't get damaged, but sorry to hear about inconsistencies in the films; I think we all expect better from forum members.

Earlier this year I sold a copy of Haunted Strangler, which I acquired more than 30 years ago. It might've even been my first S8 sound print. What I remember most is the thrill of seeing and hearing the MGM lion roaring at the beginning. That was so cool.

Alan

--------------------
Alan Hitchcox
Willoughby, Ohio USA

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 22, 2007 11:12 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The variance in image quality is something that can't always be helped, though, and are obviously beyond a sellers control.

I must say, that is one of the great things about the Derann's of the world. They do have great quality control, and if you end up with a faulty print, they will usually take care of it!
Kudo's to Derann.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2007 12:26 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to make a correction about my last post above. The three staple(length wise) were at the end of the film leader of reel number three of Mighty Joe Young.

Osi, you stated "The variance in image quality is something that can't always be helped, though, and are obviously beyond a sellers control." True! But the seller can disclose these variances in the film description, especially if they are schockingly bad. I'll post some pics in the future. I have bought thousands of films and never encountered such extreme variances. [Eek!]

[ July 08, 2007, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2007 02:01 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why don't you ask for your money back, and send back the films that weren't described accurately? You're obviously not happy with at least the MJY film....if you want the other films, fine, but at least get a partial refund! If the seller has a problem with that, i'd send back the whole damn lot for a FULL REFUND! [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC