8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » I'm new, and on the prowl for titles!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm new, and on the prowl for titles!
Anthony D.P. Mann
Junior

- posted September 18, 2008 06:42 AM      Profile for Anthony D.P. Mann   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony D.P. Mann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks!

I'm new to the forum, and very happy to find it.

I have become an enthusiast of 8mm / super 8 / 16mm films over the past couple of years, and am trying to build my collection. I'm looking for a couple of titles / subjects - if anyone has an item they might be interested in selling, please feel free to contact me - amann2@cogeco.ca

Cheers!
Anthony

I'm currently looking for (in either format, digest or other):

- A Christmas Carol (any version)
- Jekyll & Hyde (Barrymore)
- Any Sherlock Holmes-related
- Caligari
- Any Dracula-related
- Metropolis

--------------------
www.anthonydpmann.com

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2008 06:46 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Anthony!

Most of the titles you mentioned (mayabe all) are available in the super 8 format. Some will be easier to find than others, but it will be fun looking [Cool] .

Happy hunting.

James.

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sent you an e-mail Anthony.
Cheers
Terry

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2008 11:37 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anthony, and welcome to the Forum. It is an honour to have you amongst us.

The only comment I would make is regarding your quest for Metropolis.

I have been looking for a decent print for years, and the only ones that ever seem to come up are Niles prints, which are pretty awful. There is no contrast, images are permanently faded, and the faces of characters are usually washed out with no features.

If you do come across a decent print, I shall instantly turn green with envy. Anyway - good luck on that one.

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari is readily available. I have a splendid print of this on Standard 8.

Although not on your list, there are very good Blackhawk prints of Nosferatu, which is in the same genre. I have a superb print in 16mm.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 18, 2008 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Collectors club standard 8 feature print of metropolis is pretty good. Silent.

Also the Perrys std 8 2x400 silent from the 5 reel 9.5 edit is also quite nice with a few scenes not in the collectors club one.

Not surer if Perrys put it out on super 8, they may have done.

Ian are you there ???

Best Mark.

PS there are plenty of prints of Metropolis about so don`t be taken for silly money Anthony.

PPS the Kino (USA ways) or in the UK Eureka dvd of Metropolis is very nice indeed as is the Nosferatu.
VP projected there is nothing on film can get close to the Nossie DVD image , its wonderful through LCD.

THe 600 std 8 of Nosfeatu by Perrys is good mind you.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2008 02:07 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

Just read your post. I'm very interested to hear in detail what you have to say about the Metropolis prints that you know of.

Do you have contact details of The Collector's Club and how to obtain their prints? Are they Niles, or Blackhawk, or indeed their own? I'm afraid I know nothing about them. I have been discussing Metropolis with Michael Coffin of the 16mm Forum (from whom I obtained my superb print of Nosferatu - almost full length), but he reckons that Metropolis is virtually impossible to get in a really good quality print, and especially one that is almost full length.

I would certainly prefer a 16mm version.

Therefore any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 18, 2008 03:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Collectors club is long gone now. I dont know who did the printing etc for them but it may well have been Perrys.

The collectors club prints do seem to come up on ebay quite regularly so keep your eyes open on there or set up a permanent search.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Anthony D.P. Mann
Junior

- posted September 18, 2008 11:12 PM      Profile for Anthony D.P. Mann   Author's Homepage   Email Anthony D.P. Mann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great community here - thanks to the folks that have contacted me!

I actually have the 2 reel Blackhawk 8mm print of Nosferatu, which is very good... great how well these prints have survived over the years!

Terry - I sent you an email re: one of the prints -- hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers to all - I look forward to some great conversations on this board...

-Anthony

--------------------
www.anthonydpmann.com

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right Kev.Terry Nunne produced some silent classics for the super8 collector before his company Collectors Club sadly disappeared.If fact if you ask collectors now;that also bought super 8 prints then;Collectors club would come very near the top of the pile.Andy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC