8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Authentic Buffalo Bill footage WANTED

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Authentic Buffalo Bill footage WANTED
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that there was authentic footage released on super 8mm of the old wild west shows featuring some legendary characters either on a 200' or 400' reel. Any info? Thanks!

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2009 10:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Blackhawk released at least 2 200ft editions on Buffalo Bill. One of them is some really awesome footage of Buffalo Bill's show coming into town, (a parade), in about 1896.

The second reel consists of some of the life performances. One very memorable shot has Buffalo Bill galloping up to the camera and waving to the crowds. I believe this footage was sometime in between 1900 and 1910.

My copy is on standard 8mm film. There are a number of title cards giving a pretty good history of Buffalo Bill.

His story is incredible and, in the end, tragic, as he was completely lost to debt and was literally forced to perform long after he would have wanted to; having to be propped up in the saddle, in terrible pain, barely able to stay in the saddle, to go out and wave to the crowd.

A man who outlived his time, pining for the world he once knew and was now lost in a modern world.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted November 26, 2009 07:28 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Blackhawk's BUFFALO BILL'S WILD WEST SHOW, contains his 1898 show and such, also there was a Castle reel with him and other notables on there, Gay Nineties Lives Again - Coincidentally, I have BORN TO BATTLE with Buffalo Bill, Jr

Neil Townsend
Junior

- posted November 29, 2009 10:11 PM      Profile for Neil Townsend   Email Neil Townsend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is an Ebay auction that started today for a Blackhawk print called "The LIfe of Bufallo Bill". From the listing:

Blackhawk release of the REGULAR 8mm silent "THE LIFE OF BUFFALO BILL" on two 200' reels. I do not know if this is the 1912 film, or a Blackhawk compilation. I did not screen the print. I checked the reels and both have intact Blackhawk leaders. No evidence of VS. All appears in great shape. Keep in mind the preprint materials for this release will undoubtedly show their age and wear.

Don't know how to post a link to the auction, or I would.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 29, 2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Life of Buffalo Bill" auction link .
"Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show" auction link .

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe McAllister
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2009 03:37 PM      Profile for Joe McAllister   Email Joe McAllister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at school there was a scheme called "Taskforce" which involved us kids visiting pensioners who lived close to the school. One chap I visited was called Mr Bell who had had an amazing life running away to sea ending up in America and joining the Buffalo Bill show as a roustabout he became good friends with Sitting Bull and eventually returned to England when the show came here.
He went on to star in early British Films and had a lifelong free pass to the cinema to show for it, I was extremely jealous of that.
I think that is my favourite 6 degrees of separation story

--------------------
Always interested in privately produced amateur and home movies.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC