8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » 8mm optical sound cassettes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm optical sound cassettes.
Darryl Cheek
Junior

- posted October 06, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Darryl Cheek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have the opportunity of buying 8mm optical sound cassette features. From what I have gathered from this site they were used mainly in airlines and the projectors are not easily found. The films that are on offer are mainly four reel features from a rental company and seem to be in fair condition. I can't find pictures or the make of projector used let alone find one for sale. Your comments will be appreciated.
Thank you
Darryl

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2010 07:17 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,

If the film is removed from the cartridge, it can be run on any Super 8 optical sound projector, like an Elmo St 1200 M & O model.

There may be some rarities in the batch, although colour fade may well be a problem with some depending on their age.

If I were you I'd snap them up at the right price.

David

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 06, 2010 08:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have removed many super 8 films from their cartridges. It is easy do do. As David said, "snap them up". [Smile]

Darryl Cheek
Junior

- posted October 09, 2010 04:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Cheek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Thanks for the advice, I now have three features and a few more in the pipeline. I also located an ELMO ST-1200 optical/magnetic projector. The only problem is it's in Germany and the seller only ships to Germany. Not that it really matters, I will just keep on looking and carry on buying up the features. I am quite enjoying the revival of this old pasttime of mine. The problem however is that my wife is still threatening to burn the lot in the back garden!
( Just noticed that this should all have been under general discussion, sorry about that. )
Cheers
Darryl

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2010 05:27 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the three features you have so far?

Darryl Cheek
Junior

- posted October 11, 2010 08:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Cheek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, So far I have:-
Mercenaries with Rod Taylor
War between men and women with Jack Lemon
Trader Horn.
Plus bits and pieces such as, Lolly Madonna, That man from Rio, Hell boats, A man called Horse, Yellow road...!
I have bought another consignment and am hoping to have at least another four features plus but will only know when I receive them in a weeks time. The balance of the bits and pieces may come in other consignments with a bit of luck. In the meantime I have found two Elmo ST-1200 O&M'S on ebay. The one is described as the top of the range with two internal speakers four motors and all the dials and whistles! My bid was 413 pounds stirling, but did not meet the reserve. I am trying now to negotiate a sale privately and shall see.
Cheers
Darryl

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2010 10:47 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Darryl

Thats a great haul!!!

I have never heard of these three being avaliable on super 8mm optical before,whats the colour like on all three??

Cheers Mark

Darryl Cheek
Junior

- posted October 31, 2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Darryl Cheek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of new films arrived.
Far from the madding crowd. 6 reels!
The 25th hour.
They look as though they will have a pink tinge to them, pity.
Other than that I can't tell as my Eumig Mark S O&M will only arrive in January. I will in the meantime keep on bidding as the seller has about 80 plus features for sale and they end up costing about seven US dollars per feature.
Cheers
Darryl

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2010 11:56 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard Allen in Tennesee actually has the projectors that used those cartridges.

[ November 01, 2010, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: John W. Black ]

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC