8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » The Big Auction Leftovers (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Big Auction Leftovers
Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 02:10 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck. And for anyone else who sells on eBay, don't forget the seller sale for today and tomorrow. Auction style listings including "Buy It Now" are free. I have a few things I hope to put up later. No film, though.

I have a question about the 3x400 "Exorcist" for sale from clcgaragesalemi.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Film-Movie-THE -EXORCIST-1200-Reel-Short-Version-/280813214365?pt=US_Film&hash=item4161c59a9d

There was some brief discussion about it in the review for the 1x400. Can anyone give more info? Like, what scenes are there and what is missing? Is there anything in the 1x400 that's not in the 3x400? I am watching it but it will probably go for an astronomical price that's way beyond my budget. We'll see.

--------------------
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 06:39 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievable!

Well...all the films I've been watching went (or are going) beyond my budget. I still can't get over ALIEN...is that digest rare?

And like Osi says, with just a basic description of "excellent" for every film listed I am suprised at the high bids.

That seller really made out at that estate sale!

Bill [Smile]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 10:53 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bid on the Marketing "Kong", but stopped at $50. Just isn't worth more than that to me. I can hold out till another one comes by. I didn't even consider bidding on the Universal Monster Classics - not for that kind of money.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2012 11:57 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one has said anything about their thoughts on this ebay auction price . Do you think that this is a high price or an okay price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160718571531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 And everyone is so blown away by this ebay film auction but what about a few months ago when one guy sold just a trailer of Forbidden Planet for over a $100 it may have been $200 if any one remembers?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2012 12:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer of Forbidden Planet is a different thing. It does not come so often. I can say the rarity rate at 4.

But Alien digest is very common (rate 1). I have two, and now just got another one [Wink] . But this seller could sell it for $203!! when a full feature would be around $500. So this 16 minutes digest is almost a half price of a full feature.

Regading "Jack the Giant killer", I think that price is fair for today's sitution. I guess we need to wait for one to two years until the market gets normal after the closing of Derann.

Many buyers are now in panic mode and start hoarding films for re-selling in the future. But like the economy, we must care about the growth, if the growth is lesser than the supply, price will get down eventually.

--------------------
Winbert

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 12:24 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi-That print of JACK has been around for awhile. It seems high to me, but I've heard it is a great looking print, especially if it is an original Red Fox print it wouldn't have any wear in the negative. You have a great looking collection. I'm curious about that reel of 7th Voyage of Sinbad. Is that the 4-200 foot reels?

That 400 foot reel of King Kong went for $102 and I wonder how the color is? Amazing.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 27, 2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While "Alien" is a rather common digest, a good color one is another matter altogether. Most copies were on eastman which is, of course, in various degrees of fade.

However, our own Han's had a copy, (and stupid me, I waited a little too long!) but his copy is on Agfa. Someone bought it and it was a GREAT buy at the price he wanted.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2012 01:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someone bought it
...and that was me...I beat you Osi... [Big Grin]

(no...no... I have discussed with Hans about this print, a long-long time ago)

--------------------
Winbert

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 03:35 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Larry it is a reel of 7th Voyage of Sinbad 4-200 foot reels I photoshoped the cover. Anybody got that Jack Film besides the guy on eBay it did look good but to high price for me? It is not Ray Harryhausen! . I just won the Eye of the Tiger 400 reel. I had it before but sold it in my foolish days of collecting and in need of money. And it was a good print. I liked the R rated scenes of the girls bathing and rushing to put cloths on in front of the TROG. Oh my! Yes Winbert the Planet trailer is rare so you have a good point. But I guess I got a good deal on my Forbidden feature with fantastic color I kill for. And Osi I don't see Alien 400 feet going up on eBay as much as other titles. Maybe the guy did have a agfa print with killer color. We don't know unless the guy who bought it is a member of this forum?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Hans van der Sloot
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 03:54 PM      Profile for Hans van der Sloot   Author's Homepage   Email Hans van der Sloot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had two copies of Alien.
Both on Agfa stock with great color and in nice original box.
Sold for € 15,- each....
I guess I'm not so good in pricing my films.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 27, 2012 04:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Ben Hur and Alien go for a crazy price. But a rarer MGM release was sold for low price.

I just won this from the said seller:

NORTHWEST PASSAGE

-

was sold for only $17.

I have been looking for this title since 2009, and never seen any on Ebay. I saw once previously and sold for a crazy price. So I can say the rarity rate is 3 for this title.

I posted that here:
I never seen this MGM before, any rare?

So Ebay is kinda strange. People are buying for something common for an unbelievable price but keep this rarer item low [Razz] .

Joe Caruso and some member agree that this is one of the best digest (repeatable).

Last, this is also known as one of last Ken release....so my fingers are crossed this is on LPP/AGFA stock (ps: with that background I also buy seller's other MGMs, "Gigi" and "Easter Parade" for $9/each).

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 04:41 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got a great deal, Winbert. I've never seen "Northwest Passage" but I used to have "Easter Parade". And yes, $10 is a really great price for that. The 1x400 "Grease" just ended at $54. The way things have been going for this seller, I am surprised it did not end at double that.

Did anyone see how much the 1x400 "Wizard of Oz" went for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Movie-The-Wizard-Oz-400-Judy-Garland-Ray-Bolger-Bert-Lahr-/270897697209?pt=US_Film&hash=item3f12c2d1b9

I hope it looked like Technicolor for that kind of money. I had one once but it was beet red (see my vid on Youtube). I sold it for $20.

As for buying from this seller, I did find something I have been looking for. I finally got the 2x400 "The Sting". I cannot wait to see this. I used to have the 1x400 but it seemed so rushed and I was aware that a lot of story was missing. I will post it on Youtube as soon as I get it. That and any Disney 200's I can get tomorrow. [Smile]

--------------------

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 04:57 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can we say "Tax Season" -- what is up with these auctions? In reality that is what I would like for many of the digests I have. The Wizard of Oz I got from Derann right before they closed was $40 with excellent color. If someone offered me $100 for it, I may not turn it down. eBay, you shameful temptress why are you such a roller coaster of prices and emotions!!!

P.S. To my girlfriend -- I'm not really going to sell the Wizard of Oz. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could listing such a large amount of films at one time of desirable titles have anything to do with some of the high prices that they have sold for?

Just a thought.

Bill [Smile]

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2012 08:03 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey you guys Winbert,Osi,Gerald.Larry.et Check this guys prices in Australia . http://users.tpg.com.au/leytonho/fos8/ 400'
Von Ryans Express - $99.00
Desiree - $99.00
Flight of the Pheonix - $99.00
Our Man Flint - $99.00
Emperor of the North - $99.00
A Farewell to arms - $99.00
Bandelero - $99.00
L o v e is a many splendored thing - $99.00
Seven year itch - $99.00
Can-Can - $99.00
The Omen - $99.00
Damien Omen 2 - $99.00
Voyage to the bottom of the sea - $99.00
The Turning Point - $99.00
Damnation Alley - $99.00
The Seven Ups - $99.00
Dirty Mary Crazy Larry - $99.00
Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother - $99.00
Butch and Sundance - The Early Days - $99.00
Towering Inferno Part 1 and Part 3 of 3 - $99.00
Alien - $99.00
The Rose - $99.00
Star Wars Part 1 of 2 - $99.00
Star Wars Part 2 of 2 - $99.00
Empire Strikes Back Part 1 of 2 - $99.00
Empire Strikes Back Part 2 of 2 - $99.00
The Titanic - $145.00 Sorry sold out! Breakout - $99.00
The Professionals - $99.00
The Deep - $99.00
Midnight Express ('R') - $99.00
Superman - $145.00 Sorry sold out!
Tommy - $99.00 Roustabout ( MGM ) - $149.00
Paradise Hawaiian Style ( AIP ) - $149.00
Change of Habit ( UP ) - $149.00 3 x 400'
Ten Commandments - $287.00
Saturday Night Fever - $287.00
Barbarella - $287.00
Grease - $287.00
Godfather 2 - $287.00
Chinatown - $287.00
The Warriors ('R') - $287.00 ***
Rosemary's Baby - $287.00
The Longest Yard - $287

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 29, 2012 08:38 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lakshmi, the above Australian company has been discussed so many times here, and we have concluded just to forget it. No email response and high price. What more we need?

BTW, form this seller, I just won another not-too-often title, "The Champ" for $9.99. I believe this is also one of Ken's last releases. So my fingers are crossed it is on LPP.

-

So far I made a score from this seller for:

- Northwest passage ($17)
- Easter Parade ($9.99)
- The Champ ($9.99)
- Gigi ($9.99)

Nothing are ended in absurd price like the more-common Alien, Ben Hur, Grease...which we still dont understand what was in buyers' mind when they place their bids. ...eeek!...

BTW, if Gigi is on LPP, it would be like Peter Van Zand's print below (he is also member of this forum)

Look how beautiful is the color!

So don't get so pesimistic with MGM, some are just beautiful !!

-

-

-

-

-

-

My hope that this collector bought his collection at the end of Ken era, so the other titles will have similar quality like the above... [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2012 09:15 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Best of luck on your purchases. I hope the films we both bought look as good as that copy of "Gigi". I got a few of the Disney 200's I wanted tonight. Both reels for "Cinderella" and "Lady and the Tramp". I will be selling my other copies soon. My "Cinderella" is on a 400' reel, somewhat faded and, having been a former library copy, has a few lines. My current copies of "Lady and the Tramp" are very worn. The beginning of "Evening" is missing and both have many lines. I am hoping to get one or two more of the Disney's tomorrow. And that might be it for me. As much as I'd love to get the 3x400 "Airplane", I am sure it will go higher than it's current price of $30.

Speaking of 3x400, has anyone seen how much "The Exorcist" is going for? That is definitely outside of my budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Film-Movie-THE-EXORCIST-1200-Reel-Short-Version-/280813214365?pt=US_Film&hash=item4161c59a9d

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 30, 2012 03:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I just purchased "Small One" for $10 from the same seller....which this is not too rare but just if we were in December, it would have been $25...or even more. [Wink]

-

Still I don't understand [Confused]

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2012 05:03 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, as with your previous purchases, I think you did good on this one. I saw it for sale this morning, too. I found my copy in December. Luckily, I paid less than $25. I like the edit. I hope yours is less faded than mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63xymHwV8A

I am now a little bit closer to completing my Disney 200' collection. I purchased a few more this morning. Both "Robin Hood" reels, "Pete's Dragon" and I finally found "Albatross Airlines" from The Rescuers! Now, to complete the animated classics collection, I have to find both "Sword and the Stone" reels, both "Aristocats" reels, "The Three Caballeros", and "Bambi Falls in Love". Anybody willing to part with any of these? [Smile]

--------------------

Chris Fries
Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Chris Fries     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it looks like all the auctions are done. There were a few left this morning. All 3x400's. All went for big bucks. Especially this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Film-Movie-THE -EXORCIST-1200-Reel-Short-Version-/280813214365?pt=US_Film&hash=item4161c59a9d

Oh... my... God!!!

For that kind of cash I hope it is a perfect copy on LPP with no lines or splices. Even between the reels. [Smile]

WOW!

It was truly amazing to see how much some of the films went for.

I'm not sure when we will see an auction like this again but if there is, you know we all will be watching.

[ February 01, 2012, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Chris Fries ]

--------------------

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 02:36 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

For such price, I'm agree to sell my own copy.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See..see.. this....!

I am truly amazed with how the auctions went well. So (>>nasty voice<<) ...I want to know how much the seller successfully gain from all his listings!

I moved his completed sales to an excel sheet and here we go......

quote:
$9,437.45
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Ebay got hundreds dollar from fees

as well as Paypal....

Anyone is going to sell their films now....!

Me no!

ps: everyone wants to see the excel sheet can download from here:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byxwt6v1pjG0NTc5N2YxYzMtOTdiZC00NGRlLWFkN2UtNWU0 OTgyOTc2MzY5

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Gerald Santana
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 03:03 PM      Profile for Gerald Santana   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing totals Winbert! Does this mean everyone who has a nice collection such as that should insure their films for such a price?

It looks like they really slugged it out for THE EXORCIST.

Ray, did you get it?

Something else that was really interesting is this 3 x400 of Ben Hur which sold for $66 on five bids:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-Fil m-Movie-BEN-HUR-1200-Reel-Short-Version-CHARLTON-HESTON-/280813194792?pt=US_Film&hash=item4161c54e28

and from a week earlier, the 400' went for $92 on seven bids!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8mm-MGM-Film-Movie-Ben-Hur-400-Charlton-Heston-/270896994884?pt=US_Film&hash=item3f12b81a44

[Confused]

--------------------
http://lostandoutofprintfilms.blogspot.com/

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$9.437

Without telling the horror universal 8 film like Frankenstein serie, the mummy, ...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 01, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK with the help of Excel sheet I make a figure and fact information.

ps: Each item is followed with my comment.

Items sold above $100 are:

$384.51 Excorsit 3 x 400 ----> I have this and cost me $45
$203.50 Alien 400'----> I have this and cost me $4
$152.50 Night of Living Dead 2 x 800 ----> May be the correct price, don't have it
$147.50 It's Wonderful life 4 x 800 ----> May be the correct price, don't have it
$137.50 The Mummy's Tomb 400'----> Don't have it, but usually goes around $75 (top)
$133.50 Superman 1200'----> I have this and cost me $45
$127.50 3 Shorts Creature Films Black Lagoon, Walks among , Revenge 1- 800' ----> Usually each cost around $30 so don;t really absurd
$122.50 The Mummy" 400' ----> Don't have it, but usually goes around $75 (top)
$113.61 Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman 400' ----> Don't have it, but usually goes around $75 (top)
$113.50 The Wizard of Oz 400' ----> I have it for $9
$109.16 Jaws" 2 x 400'----> I have it for $25
$102.50 King Kong 400'----> I don't have this, but the German version usually goes around EURO 30
$100.95 Airplane" 1200'----> I have bought it for $30
$100.00 THE TEN COMMANDMENTS" 1200' ----> I have bought it for $25

....and then films sold above $70 but below $100 are:

$93.00 Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back" Part 1 & 2 400' ----> I have bought them for $12 each (it was on Ebay a month ago for $10)
$92.00 Ben Hur" 400' Charlton Heston ----> I have bought it for $9
$82.99 The Producers Mell Brooks, Gene Wilder 2 - 800' ----> I don't have this but may be this is the right price
$81.00 March of the Wooden Soldiers 2 - 800' ----> I don't have this but may be this is the right price
$76.00 The Mummy's Ghost 400' ----> I don't have this but this is the right price
$76.00 Our Town 2 - 800' Full Version ----> I don't have this but may be this is the right price
$72.00 DR. ZHIVAGO" 1200'----> I have bought this for $30
$71.77 Star Wars 400' Part 1 and 2 ----> I have bought this for $15/each ...very common on Ebay
$71.00 Laurel & Hardy "Our Relations" (2) 800' Reels ----> I don't have this but may be this is the right price
$70.00 Laurel & Hardy "Pack Up Your Troubles" on 2 800'----> I don't have this but may be this is the right price

I think when we are on Ebay, buyer's psychological aspect must be taken into account too.

Same with Supermarket, how they arrange the shelf and product brands are also with this psychological aspect method.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC