8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Derann, Ah....... Happy memories!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann, Ah....... Happy memories!
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 07:07 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Derek had a passion for the Business the same as we have but as we have seen once Derek very sadly passed away so did the interest of every one else associated with Derann or else it would seem at least one member would have tried in the very least to hve carried on in the way Paul Foster operates or go towards an internet only run business. Basically in my opinion, if you,re passionate about things in life that have been with with you since childhood then I'm gobsmacked if you can just give it all up one day, especially if its a family run Business. I know I would have fought tooth & nail if I had have been so priveledged. However all that said, for the time that remained for Derann, with or without the master D, they did always provide us with magical prints that will be in our collections forever and offer a fantastic service so hats off for all what they DID DO in the good times!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 11, 2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that Andrew, and also to the other like minded folk
who have stuck with film and provided us with some great titles
to put through our machines.Some of them still cling on, like
Perry's, Buckingham,CHC,Pinedene,Indy 8,Paul Foster,Umit and
that's just the main ones in the UK.There are still plenty of firms
in the USA and on the Continent that still support our hobby
and long may it continue.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2012 05:13 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know guys ( and gals ! ) I bought A LOT of really cool , neat , GREAT CONDITION films from Derann over the decades and STILL cherish many of the features on Super 8 . Yes , they and their GREAT service is missed and I am thankful for Paul Foster being in the business . I recently bought a condensed version of JOURNEY TO THE LOST CONTINENT and must say the print , and his service , reflects Derann's style . It's nice to know those of us collector's with a passion have businesses that sell with the same kind of passion !

--------------------
Dave

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 07:37 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well before we all get carried away on the euphoria,Derann did
release a lot of prints of dubious quality,they weren't all top
notch print, and myself and no doubt other collectors, did tire
of the trips to the Post Office and the added cost of returning
faulty films.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 15, 2012 08:53 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, I found Derann prints to be very good. But as Hugh points out, not everything was great. I think their worst problem was striping and sound recording. I got a feature film from them where the sound was literally unintelligable. Rather than sending it on another round trip across the Atlantic, I re-recorded it myself with excellent results. But sometimes Derann stripe was impossible to re-record, for whatever reason. And quite often Derann stripe was uneven and lumpy, with lots of sound drop out. But there is no doubt, that Derann put out some amazing prints.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today marks one year since my final little Derann package, containing a few 200' close-outs I was lucky to get, arrived on our doorstep. That is both a sad and happy remembrance - we're happily still enjoying films, and sad to see such a great friend of collectors gone.

My first dealings with Derann was to have bought a small lot of second-hand films from them in 2004. By then, Derek had passed on, their final Disney title had been printed, and you could say their hey-day was past. But here was newish stuff that looked great (and I've rerecorded or replaced sound a plenty, but still, it was FILM) and was supported by the best customer service you could want. Still, being expensive, I didn't buy from them again until 2008, though I was avidly studying lists every month.

I wish Gary, Ged, Adrian, and any other staff all the best, and a hats-off salute to the memory of Derann! And another one to all the others still selling great films to collectors worldwide!

Gary Brocklehurst
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2012 12:03 PM      Profile for Gary Brocklehurst   Email Gary Brocklehurst   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Bill

Thank you for your kind post ...

I am a regular reader of the forum and hope to attend this year's Blackpool Convention, work commitments permitting!

Best Regards Always, To All Forum Members

Gary & Diane Brocklehurst

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2012 12:18 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha Derann I bought my 1st projector (Elmo ST1200) from them, and rented my 1st films from the library on a block booking. The films arrived before the projector. I also bought my 1st super 8 film Hollywood & the Stars: Monster 400ft all about 1976ish.
Always nice to chat to them over the years, and the service was always first class. I always wondered where all my money went to [Smile] I hope all the lads who were at Derann are doing OK now.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC