8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » WANTED: Derann's Super 8 "Gentleman Prefer Blondes" scope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: WANTED: Derann's Super 8 "Gentleman Prefer Blondes" scope
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 26, 2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I know that this was actually a good Derann release ... I want it!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, was not filmed in Scope... came out right before CS came about.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 02:58 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi is looking for the "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" CinemaScope Test Number I believe, not the full length feature. I'm surprised Derann didn't release the feature as it would have sold well. And you are correct: the feature was not shot in CinemaScope. It works well without it; CinemaScope would not have added that much to the story with the exception of the Musical Numbers.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 03:06 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly disagree with you here. For me the panorama of 2.66:1 ratio is awesome and Marilyn Monroe with the other dancers in this particular sequence looks good on the scope screen I have to say, you will certainly enjoy the test sequence Osi.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 03:25 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify: CinemaScope would have added a great deal to the Musical Numbers. But for the other scenes it would have not had much impact. Zanuck instructed the Directors and Cameramen to place actors at opposite sides of the screen area to fill in the wide ratio. Even when carefully staged, CinemaScope did not add much to indoor scenes unless they had several actors in them. In the early releases, it was more a Novelty and a Distraction until everyone became comfortable working with it. Compositions were staged such that audiences had to look from left to right or right to left to follow the actors. Zanuck emphasized this with Stereophonic Sound which at the time some found distracting. Remember, the projected image was much wider than what is commonly seen today.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 03:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a news clip from Showman’s Review talking about the Cinemascope sequence which was projected on a 65ft screen no less after taking 4 days to film just that sequence.
 -

Here is the LPP super 8 Cinemascope print in action.
 -

[ January 29, 2013, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 29, 2013 05:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe, Lee and Osi, Derann did release this film full length in
1996, it got great reviews in FFTC and received "A" ratings for
picture and sound.A year later as previously stated,they put out
the little 200' clip containing Fox fanfare, titles, a couple of
numbers and the original end,albeit a little soft and dupey.The
musical numbers being "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" &
"Two Little Girls From Little Rock".Definition & colour on these
being remarkably good.

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2013 06:20 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A full length print must be rare given the year it was printed. I have never seen one for sale. Of course, anyone that does have a print isn't going to let it go either! CinemaScope worked best for panoramic spectacles and musical numbers. But the early features were carefully thought out especially to utilize the wide screen frame. Satisfactory Closeup shots were problematic partly due to the early CinemaScope Lenses used. Sadly, cinema screens have shrunk in size so the effect is no longer obtainable.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 03:20 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1996 is not that long ago, certainly not for a Derann film print so I would say they will be in good shape colour wise.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 30, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It would have to be on either Agfa or LPP film stock. I saw a print of this feature just a month or so ago on ebay U.S. and it did go for a higher than usual price and the screenshots boasted very good color.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC