8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » NOT SHIPPING OVERSEAS ???? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NOT SHIPPING OVERSEAS ????
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 25, 2013 04:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankyou Pat, I have no links whatsoever to the Royal Mail,but
they have been doing it a long time, and experience does count for a lot. The watchword in this modern world is PROFIT, regardless
of anything else, polititians speak of schools returning profit,surely
things have gone ridiculous.The word SERVICE is becoming a dirty word, the National Health Service, which was one of the first of it's kind, providing healthcare to everyone in this country,the clue
being in the third word of it's title,is expected to make a return,
it also had the Private Sector to contend with,that suddenly had
the right to use NHS facilities to make money, jjust the same as
the private delivery companies are doing with the Royal Mail,
which is one sided,and when I learned of how they operate,
very risky for the sender.

|  IP: Logged

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 04:49 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll stick-up for our Post Office too. The service is usually excellent. I rent dvd's send back Monday the next are here most times Wednesday.

I did used to work for the Post Office. but telecommunications side. We used to take a pride in our work, and would go out of our way to give the best, at the time I started is was still government run and a service. Now BT are private the service went obsessed with costs.

I was in field repairs if you think about it. If we sit down drinking tea all day we have done our job well. Everyone's phone is working.

Looking at paypal and the fees they charge has anyone tried using Moneygram?
Pasquale I hope you enjoyed your self here in the UK.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 25, 2013 05:56 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is about domestic shipping almost everyone will be happy with his/her governemnt run company due to the service and low price. No one can beat USPS media mail to send 4 kg films for merely $6 to around US mainland.

Only in Canada that domestic shipping can be more expensive than overseas shipping [Big Grin] That is true!

Now if we talk overseas shipping than this is the problem (ps: it used to be that USPS had the cheapest shipping method for overseas shipping with it flat rate international up to 4lbs for $12.99, but now they price has also risen up started Feb 2013).

Now see below my experiment to see how efficient is Royal Mail in shipping overseas, using the price finder found in its webiste.

I experimented to send 2 kg small packet (value GBP 100) from UK to Zimbabwe with tracking (delivery confirmation). The cheapest result is globalpriority = £79.45

Now send this item from UK to Germany via Royal Mail and ask someone in Germany to forward to Zimbabwe via DHL.

The result is:

Airsure Small Packets (UK to Germany) = £25.50
+
DHL (Germany to Zimbabwe) = EUR 16.90 eqv. £13.40

Total = £39.90

So if you want to save money, do the above route because there is £40 margin between the price due to the efficiency of DHL.

According to the universal rules (Universal Postal Union/UPU but may have changed now) that "sender takes everything". This means if the cost of sending from A to B is £50, B will not get anything other than to deliver it to the destination.

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 25, 2013 06:03 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That philosophy was operated by a large chemical factory my late
Father worked for as a fitter,where pipes containing corrosives
were maintained.The Managemment didn't care how many cups of
tea/coffee you had, as long as the plant was turning over and
making money,thus making a happy working environment for all
concerned.There is a documentary being shown on Monday David
that might be of interest showing the inadequate service private
delivery companies give to the public, this is in the "Dispatches"
series on Channel Four, the timing is perfect.The point I'm also
making, is that all these outside compaies could not operate
without the help of Royal Mail in the UK.It is they who sort all
the individual parcels, and pass them to the individual private
carriers who have no way of doing this, and lets not forget,were
allowed to steal work from the Post Office in the first place,
which is bound to have a "knock on" effect in charging.This is
the "one way street" government officials operate, and if the same rules were applied to bureaucrats in that they were paid
on results, they would be penniless,On the subject of the
dreaded "Moneygrams", they are an abomination,are next to
useless, are NOT universally accepted, and how they replaced the good old International Money Order, God alone knows., again, government making it easy for outside companies to
undermine something tried and tested for something that makes money for a private operator, and invariably doesn't work.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2013 12:06 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh I used Moneygram to send money to Thailand before my wife come over. Your correct in saying "Moneygrams", are NOT universally accepted. It was OK for me here in the UK as Post Office use them, but in Thailand and proberly other places too, only banks do them. She had to travel on 2 hour bus to main city where the bank was. I forgot that.

We now use Yorkshire Building Society to send money. Its quick, but not as cheap as IMO

Which reminds me does anyone want to sponsor my rubber trees in Thailand, that's where my last bit went.

Don't Barclay's Bank still do International Money Order? I have used these in the past, it was efficient method and quite cheap too. Think it only was a couple of quid last time I used one, up to £500 I think.

Seems to be the thing now. "If it an't broke, break it, then put something in place that is worse, but say you've fixed it.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted April 25, 2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly David, I know that I had problems with Moneygrams
about a year back trying to pay for films to a chap in Holland, and
he had a terrible time,ending up with me making a bank transfer.
With the old International Money Order, you could cash them anywhere in the world, Bank or P.O. I'm sure a lot of folks in the
USA feel the same way about their USPS as we do ours,these
companies have done sterling work over the years and deserve
our support.In the words of the prophet "Bollocks to the private
deliverers".

Mark L Barton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2013 06:08 AM      Profile for Mark L Barton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have posted films and cine equipment around the world with no problems. Of course its upto the buyer to judge the cost of purchase against international postage but when its an item you want, well....
Its really upto the seller if they can be bothered to post overseas. Its no different than a locally shipped package/parcel. Yes there may be a tad more customs paperwork involved but if you want to raise some money, sell of some of your collection etc, then make the effort. There are some countries where you do have a problem, I heard Italy was quite difficult to get an international parcel through, even from Europe. The only time I had any problems was sending a 16mm projector to a guy in China, he hadnt paid anything but knew all the costs involved but was very picky about how the projector was packed, so he sent his own guidance and requested photos of teh various packing stages. Eventually when it was finally packed to his standards (imagine a 16mm B&H TQ3 packed to the extent it looks like a wrapped dish washer..huge|!) Once that was all done and I d spent a small fortune on bubble wrap and packing tape...never heard from him again. D'OH!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2013 12:47 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that Winbert, when I've bought from Canada. It tends to be as expensive or more expensive then shipping overseas to the UK! Strange, as were right next to each other. [Frown] It's turned me off from a good number of purchases from Canadas ebay.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 26, 2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the Canada Post is the most inefficient company in the world (as well as Air Canada). No wonder there are some companies operating shipping service that actually brought collected items to border and send them through USPS!!! [Razz]

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 01, 2013 10:58 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the documentary was screened on UKs Channel Four, highlighting the treatment parcels receive when in the hands of
private carriers.It seemed to be a competition between the morons
these companies employ, who can damage the most packages.
Computers, TVs etc all came in for a pounding, they were even
recorded looting a case of expensive wine! The managers were all
shocked and promised retribution, but obviously employing
someone as Supervisor was not on the cards.
The private companies delivery of letters faired even worse,
where letters were torn up and left in waste bins or left in unlocked panniers on bicycles for hours on end in the street
where anyone can take them, so much for the private operators
boast of security! One of the large firms said it delivered SIX
days per week, when in actual fact it only does THREE. this comes at a time when the Prime Minister is trying to privatise the Royal Mail, obviously a "backhander" in it for him.
The treatment of packages by private companies certainly
explains a damaged 16mm projector, a burst tin of white gloss
paint, a can of expanding foam exploding and entombing the
rest of the order in plastic and many shattered film cans & broken spools.Not to say that RM are perfect, but next to these
cowboys, they shine.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 01, 2013 04:07 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased an item off of Ebay Germany and it shipped on Wednesday April 24th and I received it today. That is great! And the shipping was around 16 Euros with $500 insurance.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 01, 2013 04:13 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Alan that is Deutch Post tariff after taken over by DHL.

Beside the insurance, it will also come with tracking.

You can ship max 2 kg (approx. 4lb) for the same price.

Imagine buying 8 200' from Germany for merely 16EUR for the shipping cost. No other companies can beat this. I love that!

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 01, 2013 04:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
We've all had experience of big take overs that while in competition, promise all, until they move in and have you at their mercy.Sorry but I have had experience of private enterprise,and
it isn't always for the benefit of the customer.This is the ugly side
of capitalism.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2013 04:00 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, Didn't see that programme as I don't have TV licence (too much crap) I'll try to watch on 4OD.

Funny had a parcel today from Myhermes, guess what private car. Now this makes me think, do they have proper insurance for their car? Because if they are using it for business on a private policy and are involved in accident, the policy is null and void.

Must add this three items from ebay all sent Monday, two arrived next day, guess who? (Post Office). Forth day myhermes.

Hugh did I go "A Bridge Too Far" the other day [Big Grin] but its "The Way Ahead" to keep collecting film.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 02, 2013 04:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Dave, I can understand people thinking they're getting
a good deal by these companies like DHL, but the truth is they
bring nothing to the table regarding takeovers, mergers usually
cost folks their jobs, and they just use what was an already established business.Thus when you become the only game in town, that's when the prices go up, and then it's too late.
You only have to compare what happened in the UK with Local
Councils that supplied affordable housing, they were hammered by succesive Tory Governments until now we have
private Housing Associations that can charge whatever rent they want. Once a countries own postal system is in private
ownership, it's a very serious backward step.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2013 03:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to everyone to keep on but since I first
Posted this subject and before somebody replies
I know you can't make members ship overseas but
Members are generally not shipping overseas how
Can this be a international forum site should there
be a rule that if you are not willing too,you can't
Post a item for sale, what would members say if all
UK dealers refused to ship overseas but posted there
Listed films for sale here ?

--------------------
t.smith

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 06:27 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is Ok for me. There are two ways dealing with this:

1. Use UK address to buy then forward to my address overseas
2. Buy from local dealer who can import from UK

Questin from me to you, Thomas:

A. Do you hear the risk I told when sending overseas that include a possibility buyer doing chargeback which will also imply on shipping cost spent by seller?

B. Do you really want buy from overseas and are ready to pay premium shipping cost (which usually come with tracking and insurance) or you just want to use cheapest method like small packet but expecting high to arrive?

For B, you can then send an email saying "I am ready to use FedEx/UPS (usually $40sh for a 400') to buy your film, now please send to me"

--------------------
Winbert

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2013 08:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello winbert I won a film from the states
This week on eBay a four reel feature and I
Could have had shipping at 39 dollars or 54
Dollars priority USPS which I was happy to
Pay but as I said in my first post there has
Been an increase in sellers from the states
And Europe not offering overseas shipping and
As this forum is international I think it could
Overall overtime affect members visiting the forum
I think shipping overseas has had a bad press
On the forum and is putting members off I ship
Overseas and have only lost one parcel and that was
Returned to me from Germany

--------------------
t.smith

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 09:18 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly can't see the problem here.If someone prefers to have
an item sent by surface mail or airmail, then proof of posting
is all that is required.I have successfully sent films on this forum
to different countries,all those folks received their films.As for
airfreight being any faster, if it's coming to the UK It'll reside in
customs for a while,thus making the extra expense of airmail futile.Then when the carriers like Hermes (or should that be Herpes) get hold of it, it's anyones guess when it arrives.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas as I said earlier as well as in many posts, that there are no specific rules in this forum that seller must sell overseas.

Plus, if you are one of the buyers who accepts the condition that if the parcel is missing in transit that is not the seller's mistake, then you are a good buyer as well as a risk taker buyer.

But not all buyers are also like you as well as not all sellers are risk taker.

I am still sending item overseas. One time I sent a film to South Africa which the seller specifically not wanted to use traecable service. It was $80sh only for the shipping without tracking and I was paid by paypal. On the other hand, Paypal is specifically stated that items must be sent with traceable courier (receipt or proof of posting is not enough, believe me!).

I am a risk taker, so I shipped it to South Africa.

Once the item is missing, I would not only be loosing my film but also $80 for shipping if the buyer submitted a complain to paypal.

There is so much hassle with shipping international, because not all buyers are the same. Most of buyers if they are informed the cost of shipping is that high, first word to burst is "you take money from shipping, don't you?". [Mad]

I once shipped a big box to Norway via sea mail and it arrived 2 months. Lucky the buyer is very patient man. Thanks Vidar. [Wink]

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 12:57 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the position you're speaking from Winbert, but the
only problems I ever encountered with missing parcels, were the
ones that were never sent in the first place, this of course does
in no way reflect on an honest seller like yourself or any good folks
on here, but I have encountered this on more than one occasion
where assurances were given, but films refused to appear.Just
lately, a film I bought on ebay many weeks ago, had not been
sent by the seller in an oversight, but have been told it's on it's
way.If the labels are clearly addressed, I see no reason why it
shouldn't reach it's destination, unless like I said,it was never
sent.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 01:28 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, if you are never experiencing missing packets not even a single one, you are then the lucky man.

Please understand that the lowest shipping cost does not have insurance at the first place. At least in Canada Post no matter you have money and say to the lady counter that you want to add $100 insurance for the small packet international, the lady will reply "you cannot".

Missing in transit is not only about the items were never sent in the first place like you said, but the force majeure that no one can encounter before.

What happen if (knock, knock) the airplane was in accident, or the delivery truck plungs into the river?. Your item will not be delivered.

This is not to mention the common problem in shipping company that you can trust the Royal Mail employees but you cannot control the employees in the other countries who are looting your packet, right?

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 04:08 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I take the point Winbert, but in all my years of buying/selling
films etc,the only time I suffered serious loss was through dishonesty,where the seller does not send and does not answer
calls or sends in fake parcel numbers.The only time I have had
damage done through inland mail, was a GS1200 coming back
from repair that had its carry handle smashed through the metal
casing and a can of Thermofilm crushed in transit.Private carriers
hold the record on damaged items I have received inc. a B&H
16MM bought nearly new cond. and sundry other items.
The most serious being deception, one transaction cost me
$1650.00 together with another $350.00 to another seller that
simply didn't send the goods.As for films lost in the post, not
a one.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taking forum members points of view into account and
The fact that members do not have to offer shipping
overseas the fact is will this effect some members not
Visiting the forum one of the main reasons I visit this
Site is for any films for sale or wanted posts but I'm
Now viewing the forum less often recently because most
Of the time now I cannot purchase any films from forum
Members ?

--------------------
t.smith

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 03, 2013 05:49 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a very valid point Thomas, most members I'm sure have
no fears of sending abroad. If anything,it's more expensive for
us in this part of the world that are afflicted with customs costs.
Like I said before,if the goods are well packed and clearly addressed,they should arrive intact.I think the temptation may
be for members to use Ebay,but a lot of people do offer their
items on here first.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC