8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » Super 8 Features (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8 Features
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 18, 2014 04:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries my friend [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the price of any film for sale has to be approved by Andrew...is that it?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 18, 2014 05:09 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course not Bill, but if you would like to offer an opinion of whether you feel something is at a good price or not, what is wrong with that? After all, nobody kicks up a stink if something is a bargain and people comment on just that. Surely that has to work both ways or are we only allowed to post strictly positive comments only?

It all goes back to the beginning again here and that is that forums are riddled with peoples opinions, that is what make them colourful and interesting and not vanilla and boring. We are all proud to live in a society that promotes "free speech" I would like to think .

[ September 19, 2014, 05:44 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2014 06:03 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I bought one of the films advertised would you consider me an idiot for paying the asking price?

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2014 07:18 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky all I said was that I only paid £30 for my print don't
Think I said sellers price was to high ?

--------------------
t.smith

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 19, 2014 12:05 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fellow member is listing an item that they own and it is their prerogative to set whatever sale price they wish. A post finding fault with that price serves no beneficial purpose and only leads to the thread being hijacked.

The value of an item is subjective. If it is set too high, no one will purchase the item. If the seller is realistic, a lower price will be forthcoming.

If a party is unhappy after the transaction has occurred, then by all means complain. There is no need to complain before the sale has taken place.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 19, 2014 05:07 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your earlier question Bill which I presume you aim at me, it matters none whatever my views are regarding what you or others decide is a "good buy".

"Would I consider you an idiot?" What does it matter either way?

All of the people I know outside of the cine world consider me to be an absolute lunatic for paying even £10 for a film when you can just get the DVD for about £3 nowadays.
Looks and sounds fantastic on the big screen, easy to screen, no noise from PJ, Dolby Digital sound, no storage issues, no scratching to worry about etc etc.. the list of advantages from their point of view are endless.

I will never convince a single one of them that paying £200+ for one film is a good idea (and that includes my wife), anymore than someone selling what I consider to be an overpriced item is a bargain.

The point is, it really doesn't matter a monkey's uncle whatever anybody else thinks, so long as you yourself are happy with the price you have paid for the item you desire.

I have purchased loads of films at what I know all too well were overpriced, but I don't care. I wanted them, probably will never sell them anyway and if I ever tried I know all too well that I would never get back anything like what I paid for them.
But again... I don't care whatever anyone else makes of my decisions. All that matters to me, is that I get the titles I want and the pleasure of screening them in the manner I prefer.
If that makes me a mug in other peoples opinions...so be it, it won't cause me any sleepless nights that's for sure.

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 06:56 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based om your last paragraph, why don't you keep your "overpriced" opinions to yourself.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 19, 2014 07:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on my first paragraph.. why does it matter, they are just opinions?

Once again (sigh)... this is just a forum, littered with opinions in the vast majority of posts, some you and I will agree with...some we will not.Some I agree with, some you do not, some you agree with, some I do not. It really doesn't matter, they are just opinions of which we are all entitled to decently express on an open forum.

BTW:- there are loads of hugely overpriced top top features(IMHO), but they will always "have the right to be" if indeed any do at all.

Why? Because these are top titles on top film stock in top condition therefore highly desirable items to many. All of the ones I described which fall into the overpriced category that I own are just such items. Such items advertised on here, I never comment on because of the reasons I have just said. Others which fall outside this bracket do bring about comment by not only me, but by many in many other examples on here.

[ September 19, 2014, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For whoever buys "Magical Mystery Tour" ...

You don't have to, of course, but could you please give us some screenshots when you get it? I have long sought a truly good color copy of this title and haven't found one yet, but I don't rule out good color copies existing ...

therefore, could you put up some screenshots? It would bolster my confidence in actually finding a good copy (and one I can afford!) [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, do you find anything in Doug's post that applies here or is it just your right to "freedom of speech" to offer your opinion...I have seen many prices I would not pay but I don't feel the need to lessen the chance of a sale with my "opinion"

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 03:11 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel I have to take Andrews side on this - he is SIMPLY expressing his opinion, which is his entitlement...my Lord if you had come on "SilvoScreen" - nearly 10 years since I closed it you would have appreciated this very thing...along with tons of humour..." I was the Howard Stern of 8/16mm. We have a great privilege - freedom of speech. I, actually love Rob "Retro- vision" descriptions...I secretly chuckle an enjoy it for the same way a "saddo" like me watches those wonderful "Ronco" infocomercials...P.S Rob...bet you watched a few of my listings on ebay all those years ago... Anyway, good to keep in touch with all you guys. Dabbling back a little bit hopefully in 16mm...so Rob p.m. me if you ever get a llp copy of the Wicker Man..best to all...and remember hobby's are fun!

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 03:20 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum is not fun.

My opinion of course....freedom of speech....etc.

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well...difficult to answer that one Phil. I thought it was about films..and collecting..SORRY GUYS..must have stumbled upon a funeral home...please excuse me!.. [Frown] But, seriously it is a great hobby and there are so many tales I could tell you all. That is what tempted me back. Hope to be around for a while and best to all. [Smile] Looking for a nice Bell and Howell 16mm with a new worm fitted.

--------------------
Mark Silvester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 04:43 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi mark i have several bell and howells in ex working order for sale

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 05:54 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't ask you to answer, Matt.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 19, 2014 07:28 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad! [Big Grin]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2014 04:05 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This forum is not fun.

My opinion of course....freedom of speech....etc.

It used to be.......but not any more!

quote:
Opinions are like arseholes - everybody has one. (Dirty Harry in "The Dead Pool" )
Just my opinion of course!

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted September 20, 2014 06:02 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still happy for the friends I've found here and all the info I get. I like the forum, just wish there was less digital which seems to creep in a lot. Keep it film, not video (Also just my opinion)

Be friends :-)

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2014 07:04 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great forum ,great people but totally agree vidar forget the digital we are here for the film .

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 20, 2014 08:59 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Robert's post has been thoroughly hijacked it is now closed. Members are free to start another topic in an appropriate section, possibly the new "Mortuary Mumblings" category.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC